Pale ale critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryhardbrews

Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post on the forum. Since being out of school, I've decided to take on my first recipe as well with the help of Ray Daniels' book. My beekeeper of a friend is loading me up with honey so I felt that I needed to try some thing like this out. I haven't quite bought the materials necessary but was looking for someone's advice for some ideas. Let me know what you think!

Est. OG: 1.070
Est. IBU: 55.5
Brew Size: 5.5 gal
Brew Efficiency: 65%

Fermentables:
4.25 lb Golden Light LME
2.5 lb Vienna Malt
1.5 lb Honey Malt
1.0 lb Crystal 40L
1.25 lb Honey

Hops:
0.5 oz Columbus 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade 30 min
1.0 oz Cascade 10 min
1.0 oz Tettnang 5 min
1.0 oz Citra Dry for 7 days

WLP004 for fermentation

Also Daniels doesn't go into depth about how to estimate the FG if someone would be willing to help me out on that front. I know that WLP004 has a medium ranking for alcohol tolerance, but how do I know when its time to bottle where the yeast won't die out, but the bottle won't burst either. Thanks again!

I threw it in on my mobile beer smith app switching the LME to "Pale" LME and it shows at 1.066 which is pretty high for an APA. Is this partial mash or extract with steeping?

That is a lot of honey malt. I do a honey ipa and pale and usually don't go over 12oz. Its potent stuff but fantastic when used correctly. I am not too familiar with wlp004, so can't help you much there. The honey will help to dry out the beer giving you a lower fg. I would recommend putting it into the fermenter after primary has died down to try and retain some of its natural flavor and aroma. Honey malt really is the best way to go for honey character though. Purchase a hydrometer, when you readings stay the same for a few days it is done fermenting. Give this one at least a couple of weeks.

It's an extract with steeping. I know the fg is a bit high for an apa, but does it look like decent recipe? Also thanks for the heads up on honey malt, I haven't used it much before this.

I agree that 12 ounces of honey malt is about right. Also the vienna malt needs to be mashed so just hold your steep between 150° and 160° for about a half hour to allow the starches to convert.

Back