BIAB Strike temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure about "c"...but last weekend I struck at 160 and my resultant mash was 153-154, and lost a 2-3 degrees during the rest. W/ BIAB, I like to start the mash a few degrees high in anticipation of losing a little during the rest.

The above calculator is interesting, I'm guessing one should input 0 for thermal loss of vessel for BIAB, as the vessel is already preheated...at least that's what my field data and experience indicates.

wilserbrewer said:
Not sure about "c"...but last weekend I struck at 160 and my resultant mash was 153-154, and lost a 2-3 degrees during the rest. W/ BIAB, I like to start the mash a few degrees high in anticipation of losing a little during the rest.

The above calculator is interesting, I'm guessing one should input 0 for thermal loss of vessel for BIAB, as the vessel is already preheated...at least that's what my field data and experience indicates.

Do you find that you dont need to add any more heat during the mash? Do u cover your pot up with towels etc?

Are you doing a stove-top BIAB? Will your pot fit in the oven? If so preheat your oven to your mash temp and put the pot in there, It will hold the temperature well.

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times.

BeerSmith II - $23.00 at Birdman Brewing.

The program does about 35 brewing calculations automatically, including strike temp!

GET IT!

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times.

BeerSmith II - $23.00 at Birdman Brewing.

The program does about 35 brewing calculations automatically, including strike temp!

GET IT!

I love beer smith, dont get me wrong, but I have found that it does not work well for BIAB strike temps. Not sure why but every time I follow the strike temp when I BIAB it end up mashing atleast 4 degree above my target. So I just started striking at my desired mash temp and adjusting with a little heat if necessary.

I love beer smith, dont get me wrong, but I have found that it does not work well for BIAB strike temps. Not sure why but every time I follow the strike temp when I BIAB it end up mashing atleast 4 degree above my target. So I just started striking at my desired mash temp and adjusting with a little heat if necessary.

That's weird, and I'm not sure why that would be the case. The only difference really is the voile bag. In any case, I use standard strike temp calcs whenever I brew in a bag and hit my numbers dead-on.

I love beer smith, dont get me wrong, but I have found that it does not work well for BIAB strike temps

The calculation that produces the BIAB strike temp is just simple algebra - averaging out the temps of the strike water and the grain based on their volume to equal your mash temp.

When you use the strike temp calculation in BeerSmith, do you measure and enter the temperature of your grain into BeerSmith? BeerSmith defaults to a 72F grain temp. If you store your grains in a fridge, like I do, you have to account for the temp of the grains, and the grain temp is an editable field in BeerSmith. The thermal mass of grain stored in the fridge makes a big difference to the strike temp!

My temps are always 100% on. If I have time, I pull the grains out of the fridge to warm them up to room temp, but I've had grains that were as low as 36F internal temp, which changes the strike water temp pretty significantly.

Do you find that you dont need to add any more heat during the mash? Do u cover your pot up with towels etc?

I wrap the kettle in an old bed comfortor...Sometimes I will add a little heat to bump up the temp a few degrees, but likely I could just leave it be as well. I like to mash a little high and anticipate the slight drop, I'm not the type to lose sleep over two degrees:mug:

When you use the strike temp calculation in BeerSmith, do you measure and enter the temperature of your grain into BeerSmith?

Yeah I always check the grain temp and edit it in beer smith. I keep mine at room temp so usually 68 to 72 depending on the time of year. I also set you mash tun temp to whatever the strike water temp is since my mash tun is fully pre-heated.

The only other thing I can think of is the first couple builds of BeerSmith II were pretty buggy, so maybe you need to update to the latest build? I got mine in like March/April 2011, and whatever version I have has never let me down on any of its calculations.

Back