Fermenting Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Reaction score

Can someone please supply me with references to the temperatures that are best for each type of beer during all stages of brewing?

My Irish Stout has been kept at about 70 degrees for the last week. I was wondering if that is satisfactory and I would like to have some reference for what other beers prefer.

Thanks a lot!

Petunia

I keep mine at 68-70 in the basement.
fermenting, 2ndary and bottled. when I want to drink it put it the fridge.
sounds good temp to me.

It's really the yeast, not the style that requires the various temperature ranges. Most yeasts come with an optimum range suggestion. 70 will give you some unwanted fruity esters but isn't too high - it's also unlikely you would notice them in a stout. For the most part, 65-68 seems to be a great sweet spot for most ales.

I finally got a thermometer and took a reading of the water I'm keeping my fermenters in: it was 70 at night, which is much higher than I thought it'd be. I currently have a porter in my secondary, which shouldn't be too bad, but I have a wheat coming up (the package just says "Coopers brewing yeast," even though it isn't a Coopers kit). Think this will be good enough?

For wheat beers the extra temp can be beneficial (as in a hefeweizen) because it adds flavour to the beer that is desired. You'll get a fine beer at 70, no worries there. It would just be even better fermented at a lower temp. You can try the old wet towel and fan trick, that is usually good for a couple degrees.

Great, for the most part seventy degrees has been the highest the temperature has climbed. I think it resides around sixty-five at night.

Thank you for the information everyone,

Petunia

Back