Drilling stainless kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get drill if you don't already have one.

;)

I've not done one either, and I have a 15 gal. keg in my garage waiting to be converted into a HLT. I'm putting off drilling it myself. :rolleyes:

I have got a drill but stainless is very hard and I recon it would burn out my drill bits especially for a hole beg enough for a spigot. The only bits I have over 3/8" are wood bits.

A hole saw. It's a small drill bit, with a circular saw blade around it. Once you get the drill hole started, the saw blade turns the hole into the size you need. It's a lot easier than a drill bit of the same size.

Also, try honing or polishing the new opening as much as possible, because it will be rough - a good place for microbastards to hide.

Most likely you will be needing a 1/2" hole for your bulkhead fitting. Pick up a bit from your local HD and be sure to have plenty of WD-40 or cutting oil to keep your bit from heating up as your drill. Be generous with your application.

Wild

I've done this a couple of times for weldless fittings. The hole saw works very well. Use a relatively low speed and high contact force and lots of lube. Should take less than a minute of drill time total.

i used a 7/8" bit and found a friend that had a drill press. much, much easier. or find a local weld shop and they'll knock it out pronto.

And make certain any drill you get is designed for steel (titanium or high-speed steel). Hole saws should have carbide teeth or grit. General purpose bits just are not hard enough to cut stainless. I priced drill bits and decided to have a tap welded on by a shop.

tnlandsailor said:
I've done this a couple of times for weldless fittings. The hole saw works very well. Use a relatively low speed and high contact force and lots of lube. Should take less than a minute of drill time total.

Right on...You don't need a special hole saw or really anything. Cutting the top is a PITA without a plasma cutter. However my buddy did it with a grinder but he could probably do almost anything with a grinder :).

-Eric

I'm sure it's all been said already but get a bimetal hole saw. I think I used a 3/4" hole for my 1/2" weldless fitting. A 7/8" hole saw is 22mm, which doesn't give any room for error or wiggle in the drilling. the 3/4" is 19.4mm. Works good, I got a small leak I have to fix on mine, but it's nothing big..

I followed these directions:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=31646

When you drill, make sure you dont' put your weldless fitting too close to any holes in the skirt.. otherwise the heat from your burner could melt your orings.

Step bits are awesome for this application. They are self centering and drill a perfectly round hole. No problem drilling with a cordless drill. I suggest cleaning up with a dremel with a grinding attachment so you don't rip up your fingers or gaskets on the holes.

Here's they look like:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5751

They can be a bit pricey, but well worth having in your tool cabinet.

Not sure if they are at your local, but I just picked a nice set of 4 different sized step bits at Costco for $40 - tremendous deal.

orfy said:
I need to drill holes in my key for a spigot.
Any ideas on the best way to achieve this?

Orfy, use a step drill bit..lots of oil ..and turn the bit on slow speed. A step drill bit will set you back about $30-40 bucks at Home Depot.

For small holes, use a carbide drill bit.

It should go through stainless steel like a hot knife through butter.

For large holes - never tried it, so I cannot recommend anything, but I believe what the others have said.

-a.

akula169 said:
Not sure if they are at your local, but I just picked a nice set of 4 different sized step bits at Costco for $40 - tremendous deal.

Just caught this..this is a deal...gonna have to stop by Costco soon!

Back