Nitrogen Setup Item List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am assuming you have everything to run a CO2 setup. You would then need a nitrogen tank, nitrogen regulator and a stout faucet. If you don't have a nitrogen regulator but you have an extra CO2 regulator you can buy a fitting to adapt it for a nitrogen tank. Hope that helps.

I was thinking that was all i needed, but wanted to make sure. I've been looking for complete kit packages but can't seem to find them.

Technically for a proper stout setup, you would need a beer gas/blended gas tank(75% nitrogen/25% co2), this tank would be dependent on your local gas supplier. Here they use a nitrogen tank with a CGA-320(co2) valve. Nitrogen tanks usually have a CGA-580 valve.

You could use a nitrogen tank and a co2 tank with a gas blender like a mcdantum trimux or a micromatic mm200 but that is a bit cashy.

The problem with pure nitrogen is as you dispense, co2 levels will keep dropping, changing the flavor slightly as you go along. If you are going to drink it all quick, it probably won't matter.

couldn't i just get a nitrogen tank, get beer gas and a beer gas regulator? or will they not connect?

It depends on your local gas supplier. Around here no one fills beer gas, you have to do a tank exchange. In order to exchange tanks, your tank has to match what they have in stock.

I would advise talking to your local gas suppliers before making a tank or regulator purchase. Make sure you are getting something they will fill or exchange and the regulator you are getting will work as well. Nothing worse than buying a new tank only to discover you can't get it filled anywhere close.(I did this several years ago with a 5lb tank)

The first step is to find a supplier for the gas like zazbnf said. Where I am there is one shop (airgas, one locaton) who will fill either type of tank, but they only do it on fridays, and you drop it off at least the day before. There is no other salable use for this blend so demand is low.
So find the shop that can supply the gas blend and build you kit around that. There is no difference between the regulators, outside of what type of tank they fit. You will then need a Stout faucet with the proper nozzle and restrictor plate. Use around 30-45 psi depending on serving temp, your taste, etc.

Great suggestions so far. One thing I didn't consider when I recently started a nitro tap was...appropriate glassware. I think you want a fairly straight-sided glass and since many of the brews I intend to serve via nitro are big Imperial Stouts, 10-12 ouncers (total volume so less after you factor in the foam) would be nice to have.

Back