Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout...question about the Oatmeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digphish

Reaction score
According to my recipe from the Clone Book, I am to bake 1/2 lb of Oatmeal for 75 minutes at 325 degrees. I have done this, but the oatmeal has started to stink up the house with a burnt smell, although it doesn't appear burnt. I just wanted to confirm that this is correct.

Was told to roast it slightly for an 'oatmeal cookie' kinda roasty flavor, but more like 15-30mins. Will try it for the first time this weekend.

I roasted some oats last week. I wasn't going for a super deep roast, just a toast. I spread them out on a cookie sheet and baked at 350. I checked at 10min and they weren't that roasted. At 15min, they were darkened a bit. I waited about 2min later and pulled them out, they were darked and tasted more roasty than raw oats.

I suggest keeping a handful of raw oats out next to the oven so that when you check on your roasting oats you can compare them to raw ones quickly.

Last oatmeal stout I did I toasted half the 1lb of oats. I just did it in my oven at about 325, stirred it every couple of minutes. None burned. Took maybe 30 minutes, maybe a little more. The stout came out great!

I would say as long as they taste fine after toasting they're good to brew with. I just brewed an oatmeal stout Sunday. I made a lower gravity version (1.042) by taking a more traditional gravity recipe and cut just the base malt. Want to see if I can retain a big flavor without the buzz.

I would say as long as they taste fine after toasting they're good to brew with. I just brewed an oatmeal stout Sunday. I made a lower gravity version (1.042) by taking a more traditional gravity recipe and cut just the base malt. Want to see if I can retain a big flavor without the buzz.

I'd like to know how that goes. How much oatmeal/malt?

Here's my recipe. Yes this is a huge amount of steeping grains, but it came out excellent. I'll be making this again (maybe...someday).

OG 1.061 FG: 1.017 IBU: 29.2 ABV: 5.74%

6 lbs light DME
1½ lbs Crystal 60
1 lb Quick oats (half toasted)
12 oz Chocolate malt
8 oz flaked barley
7 oz roasted barley
8 oz molasses @ 10min
1 oz Challenger hops (aa~7) 60 min
WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Here is the Recipe from the clone book:

1/2lb flaked oats, roasted at 325 for 75 minutes, turning every 15 min. I did 60 minutes, and they tasted better as the odor dissipated.
1/2 lb 55L British Crystal Malt
1/2 lb British Chocolate Malt
3oz Barley

Steep grains in 1 Gallon of water at 150 degrees for 20 minutes
Sparge with 1/2 Gallon 150 degree water

Add 5.75lbs light DME (I used 6.6lbs LME) and 2oz of East Kent Goldings Hops @ 4.24AA
Add water to total 2.5G
Boil 50 minutes
Add 1tsp Irish MOss
Boil 10 minutes
Stop and Cool
Pitch yeast WL002.

I brewed this last night. The target OG is 1.048-1.051. Mine came up 1.042. I can't figure out why. Any ideas? I tasted the wort and it was delicious. The toasting of the oats really brought out the nutty toasty character of the Sammy Smith.

I'd like to know how that goes. How much oatmeal/malt?

I just started with Jamil's recipe as percentages. Well, I changed the percentages to whole numbers.

72% Pale Malt
8% Flaked Oats
6% Chocolate Malt
6% Victory Malt
4% Crystal 80L
4% Roasted Barley America

For 5 gallons I would need about an 8.5lb grain bill to hit 1.054.

So 72% of the pale malt would be 6.12lbs. I dropped just the pale by 1.5lbs for a 7lb grain bill. That changed the percentages to:

66% Pale Malt
9.7% Flaked Oats
7.3% Chocolate Malt
7.3% Victory Malt
4.9% Crystal 80L
4.9% Roasted Barley America

7lbs for a 5.25 gallon batch put me at 1.042 (85% efficiency).

I actually did the same thing with his robust porter on Sunday. Except that recipe had an 1.064 O.G. which I thought would be too big of a jump just to drop the base malt to obtain a 1.042 O.G. So I figured his percentages on a 8.5lb grain bill again and then dropped the base malt down.

Here is the Recipe from the clone book:

1/2lb flaked oats, roasted at 325 for 75 minutes, turning every 15 min. I did 60 minutes, and they tasted better as the odor dissipated.
1/2 lb 55L British Crystal Malt
1/2 lb British Chocolate Malt
3oz Barley

Steep grains in 1 Gallon of water at 150 degrees for 20 minutes
Sparge with 1/2 Gallon 150 degree water

Add 5.75lbs light DME (I used 6.6lbs LME) and 2oz of East Kent Goldings Hops @ 4.24AA
Add water to total 2.5G
Boil 50 minutes
Add 1tsp Irish MOss
Boil 10 minutes
Stop and Cool
Pitch yeast WL002.

I brewed this last night. The target OG is 1.048-1.051. Mine came up 1.042. I can't figure out why. Any ideas? I tasted the wort and it was delicious. The toasting of the oats really brought out the nutty toasty character of the Sammy Smith.

im new to this, so this might be a dumb question. But in youre recipe you added water to 2.5G, then boiled 60 minutes, then cooled. Do you then top up with water to 5G? Or was this just for a small batch? What adjustments would i need to make to have a full 5 gallon boil?

I topped off to make a 5 Gallon batch. Not sure what adjustments would be needed for a larger boil. Maybe one of the senior brewers will chime in.

I've toasted my oatmeal for 60 min before @325 with no problems at all. You have to stir the oatmeal every 10-15 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn. I've read your supposed to leave it in a paper bag for a week after you roast it....but I've never bothered and my Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout is a pleaser.....

Thanks for the recipe's I will have to make this clone sometime in the very near future . Glad I found this Board you guys are a lot of help.

Back