Hissing keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer baron

Reaction score
I kegged my first brew a few days ago. Added 2.5 oz of sugar for secondary fermentation as the instructions said. After 2 days its started hissing and leaking from the tap a bit, a Friend said to release some pressure from the top which i did. Is this normal and did i do the right thing. The keg is a plastic one you get here in the UK not a metal one like in the US. Hears hoping everything is fine
:confused:

Go smack your friend. He told you to release the CO2 pressure that is supposed to carbonate your beer.

You'll have to fix the leak, or deal with a keg full of flat beer.

It's quite common with the plastic barrels. Vaseline is your friend -- smear a liberal amount on the rubber o-ring and it will give you a much tighter seal.

Thanks guys will use more vaseline next time. On my way to my Friends house now with a big stick to force feed him flat beer:D . If it is flat will co2 work to bring some fizz back, Ive herd the fizz doesn't last with co2 but this is from the same person who told me to release the pressure! I would be using 8 gm bulbs from young's you can buy in the UK not sure if you have them in the us.

When you get the chance change from the small co2 bulbs and get a Hamleton Bard S30 gas canister then you can put in extra co2 when it is needed.You can carbonate your beer with the co2 also.Just make sure that the o ring is covered with vaseline(dont worry about putting on to much).Just fill with co2 until the relief valve starts to blow,then leave alone for a week or so and then sample.
Also its not flat beer it is just cask conditioned:p

no your not, your mind is just in the gutter somewhere next to mine. God is that funny.

Oh, I know. I had to supress my own nitpicking gene for the sake of a funny. If it makes you happy, you can pretend that it's a sheepskin "rubber."

:off:

Hissing Keg... meet hissing Parrot :D

2560-mine.JPG

Don't mess with me and my papaya!

:off:

Latest posts

Back