Beer of the Week #16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I was going to suggest this for the BOTW las week, but you guy's beat me to it with the Fullers ESB. My suggestion was that because it was going to be Easter, we should try something that the monks would drink in their times of fasting during lent. Even better, one that's named for the holiday and the originator of the style. I'm no monk, and am not fasting, but I think it's still a great time to have a great beer, so I hearby nominate Paulaner Salvator Doppelbock for this weeks Beer of the Week.

I will go Bock to my beer store.

I have been rereading the Bock book in the Beer Style series, so this will be a book brew to sample. I can also get it on draft.:mug:

Did anyone try their Salvator? I have to admmit that I haven't. I've had a bad cold since thursday and my throat has been swollen and my taste has been all off. I want to do the tasting justice, so I'm going to wait until I feel better.

it's great stuff... nice and sweet malt, a heavy beer, with just enough hops to balance it out. i could drink it by the bucket load.... :mug:

My throat is a little better, I might break it out tonight. Better yet, I might wait till I bottle my doppelbock this weekend and taste it side-by-side. Mine has been in the secondary for 5 weeks and should be pretty good.

Ize said:
We're 2 weeks behind. Who's for doubling up? :D

Suggestions?

Ize

I'm game for just about anything....I've missed the last few though--I work a ton of weekend night shifts so I can't drink when everyone else is...but this weekend I'll have some time....any ideas? Have we done SNPA yet?

Dude, what about your suggestion of the Guiness Extra Stout a while back? Has that been done already? :confused: SNPA sounds good too.

I just finished off a 12 of SNPA recently so I'd probably pass on that... I'd be all about the Guinness tho...

(Side note, the Paulaner Hefe that I had tonight was DELIGHTFUL. :cross:)

Ize

Well I finally tried my Salvator and I have to say that it is good stuff :rockin:. Mine poured a nice honey/amber color with a small head. The aroma was slightly sweet with no hops. First sip was malty and sweet, but not cloying, with carbonation to make it sparkle in my mouth without the CO2 bite. The flavor did not over power throughout the entire 0.5L, even given the sweetness and alcohol content. I can see why this is the beer all the others try to be. The flavor is full and rich, and a fantastic example of the flavors munich malt give. This is definately a beer I recommend and suggest everyone find a bottle and try it.

Back