Guillotine IPA (Terrapin's Hopsecutioner Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cercueil

Reaction score
I plan on brewing this on Saturday. Please let me know what you think. I only tried this beer once and I can't get it in NJ so this is why I wanted to clone it. All ingredients are from Terrapin's website.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00%

ABV: 7.2%
IBU’s: 78

OG : 1.067
FG : 1.012

Malt:
14 lbs 8 oz - 2 Row Pale
1lb - Munich
1 lb - Crystal 20 (The brewery lists Crystal 24)
8 oz - Victory

Hops:
1 oz - Warrior (FWH)
1 oz - Chinook (15)
1 oz - Centennial (10)
1 oz - Simcoe (5)
1 oz - Amarillo (Flameout)

2 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Yeast
2 - SAFALE US-05 American Ale

Mash 150 - Batch Sparge

I think you are a new hero of mine...They sell hopsecutioner down here on draft...it is really one of my favorite hoppy beers.

If they call for crystal 24 (never really seen that), think it would be possible to mix 20 with a pinch of 40? of do you think that would throw off the flavor?

Please let us know how it goes...this could very well be a NEAR future project.

I'll only be the hero if it turns out good..lol..I really don't know what crystal 24 is but I assume it would be slightly darker than 20. From what I remember the beer had a nice maltiness to go with the huge hop bitterness. Hopefully 20 will be ok but I'll let you know.

FWIW, Honey Malt is a crystal malt at about 25L... I remember Spike saying on the CYBI Terrapin Rye Pale Ale podcast they use honey malt in quite a few of their beers since he likes it so much. Might be worth considering.

Otherwise, you could email the brewery to see if they can give you any insight.

FWIW, Honey Malt is a crystal malt at about 25L... I remember Spike saying on the CYBI Terrapin Rye Pale Ale podcast they use honey malt in quite a few of their beers since he likes it so much. Might be worth considering.

Otherwise, you could email the brewery to see if they can give you any insight.
+1 on the honey malt. I LOVE Terrapin. Such a great brewery!

I don't know where you are in Jersey but I stumbled upon it in the Freehold Shoprite Liquors around Rt9 and Rt79
The only other beer I enjoy more is Troegs Nugget Nectar, which by the way I found in my local Wegman's liquor store. Who knew ?
I'm not sure how up to date www.ratebeer.com is but it has locations where u can purchase certain beers.
Another place which has a huge selection of beers in jersey is Canal's Liqours who have several locations.
Hope this helps,
fellow hophead
Art

I tried to clone the IBA and was off on my hops the first go around. I emailed them about my clone and they never emailed me back :( But i still buy and drink terrapin beers.

I don't know where you are in Jersey but I stumbled upon it in the Freehold Shoprite Liquors around Rt9 and Rt79
Art

Wow this is really good news. On their website it doesn't show that they ship to NJ. Maybe they don't update it too frequently. I live probably about 30 minutes from Freehold but would definitely drive down there to pick some up.

I racked the beer to the keg and tried a little bit of it. Obviously its over the top bitter for now but I will probably tap it in about 3 weeks or so. The aroma from the dry hopping was excellent. I wound up using 2 ounces to dry hop because I got a nice fresh 2009 cascade and simcoe order in. I will post a pic in a few weeks along with tasting notes.

I just got an e-mail from my local beer distributor and found out that they now carry Terrapin in New Jersey :rockin:

I definitely need to pick up from Hopsecutioner so I can see how much I messed it up the clone..lol

clone_tasting.jpg

Here is a visual comparison of the clone and the original. The original is darker in color. Here are my thoughts on the clone.

Appearance: The clone came out a little lighter in color. This may to due to the fact that I used crystal 20 as opposed to Honey Malt which ranges from 20-30 °L

Smell: The dry hopping gave it a nice aroma although I think the commercial version had a slightly stronger aroma.

Taste: Overall I was really impressed with this recipe. I think the bitterness was very close. I did notice that the original has a stronger grapefruit taste to it. Also, the original is sweeter which is probably due to their use of honey malt as nealf alluded to. If I make it again I may use a pound of honey malt instead of the crystal 20. I was really surprised that the beer was ready to drink after only 6 weeks. At 7.2% abv there was no alcohol hotness detected.

DANGEROUS POST: This could be a little ribbing, yet I am a professional historian and provocation of thought is our way.

Somehow I find the name of this beer somewhat troubling. How is it that we've romanticized a device that cuts the heads off of millions of Catholics and Jews way back in Franco-Atheist Revolution of 1789?

I wonder if I could get away with naming a commercial beer Dauchau Priestblock Pale Ale, or Nagasaki Mushroom Cloud Malt Bomb, or Native American Red Malt Liquor.

Strangely enough I find it odd that Terrapin and Guillotine are paired up here as these fresh-water turtles, for fear of their lives, tuck their heads into their shells in order keep them from getting hacked off by what have you.

--- Good looking beer though.

DANGEROUS POST: This could be a little ribbing, yet I am a professional historian and provocation of thought is our way.

Somehow I find the name of this beer somewhat troubling. How is it that we've romanticized a device that cuts the heads off of millions of Catholics and Jews way back in Franco-Atheist Revolution of 1789?

I wonder if I could get away with naming a commercial beer Dauchau Priestblock Pale Ale, or Nagasaki Mushroom Cloud Malt Bomb, or Native American Red Malt Liquor.

Strangely enough I find it odd that Terrapin and Guillotine are paired up here as these fresh-water turtles, for fear of their lives, tuck their heads into their shells in order keep them from getting hacked off by what have you.

--- Good looking beer though.

the name of the beer is hopsicutioner..not guillotine ipa... and you are taking this too far. the beer does not have jews or catholics in it...

lighten up man... you cant take things in life so seriously.

edit - ohh yeah... this is written by a jewish puerto rican....

Just to be sure here, there is no bittering addition aside from the FWH addition? Then the rest is 15 and less?

Somehow I find the name of this beer somewhat troubling.

The beer that I was cloning has a guillotine on the label so thats where I got the name from.

Just to be sure here, there is no bittering addition aside from the FWH addition? Then the rest is 15 and less?

Yes. I was trying to get that hop bursting affect by adding a FWH and then all the other additions at 15 minutes or less.

the name of the beer is hopsicutioner..not guillotine ipa... and you are taking this too far. the beer does not have jews or catholics in it...

lighten up man... you cant take things in life so seriously.

edit - ohh yeah... this is written by a jewish puerto rican....

Thank you for your concern. Fortunately, I am already light hearted... but it is an observation nonetheless; an observation made over good ale. Our duties do not stop with the pint glass.

The beer itself sounds great and am looking forward to the more.

Nagasaki Mushroom Cloud Malt Bomb, or Native American Red Malt Liquor.

These names arent trademarked or copyrighted are they? I just named my scotch ale and now need to brew a red!!!!

Jk... maybe

But they are funny names. I agree lighten up.

Hello all, I am wondering if someone here with experience with this sort of thing could take a stab at an extract conversion of this recipe. This is SWMBO's favorite IPA, so this would go a long way towards facilitating future equipment upgrade requests! =]

Good luck..Please let me know how it turns out!

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gal

ABV: 7.2%
IBU’s: 78

OG : 1.067 (OG might be slightly higher but the high IBU's of the hops will balance it out)
FG : 1.012

Malt:
9 Lbs LME - Pale or 7.5 lbs DME - Pale

Steep the following grains at 150 for 30 minutes:
1 lb - Munich
1 lb - Crystal 20
8 oz - Victory

Hops:
1 oz - Warrior (60)
1 oz - Chinook (15)
1 oz - Centennial (10)
1 oz - Simcoe (5)
1 oz - Amarillo (Flameout)

2 oz Cascade (dry hop) - I dry hopped in the primary after 5 days and kept it in there about 7-10 days)

Yeast
2 - SAFALE US-05 American Ale

Reviving this one... has there been any more attempts at this brew with the changes? I love Hopsecutioner and can't find a clone anywhere. Here's a recipe I came up with based on the OP's previous experience along with the Terrapin official info listed here... http://www.terrapinbeer.com/beers/28-Hopsecutioner. Thoughts welcome! And if there have been any more tries, I love to hear how they fared.

Boil Size: 6.56 gal

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.25 %
Bitterness: 78.8 IBU
Est Color: 11.4 SRM

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.57 %
2.75 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 18.03 %
1.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9.84 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 39.6 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Recipe looks good..Please let me know how it comes out with the honey malt. I haven't seen anyone say that they tried it with that.

Really nice recipe, I am becoming more and more of a fan of the 30 minute addition for IPA's, I think chinook, cascade..etc....etc...at that time in the boil gives the beer that amazing tangerine/grapefruit flavor that is so great about IPA.

Just wanted to update the thread... I brewed the recipe that I posted this past Saturday (4/16/11). It's bubbling away in the primary now. I just bought a 6.5 gallon carboy so I scaled the recipe up to 6 gallons. But, not being used to the new sizes, I undershot my target amount and only ended up with about 5.25 gallons as opposed to the 6 gallons I was going for. It was boiling pretty vigorously and I probably didn't collect enough wort from the runnings as well as evaporating quite a bit. I also didn't have any Simcoe on hand, so I subbed Falc. Flight. Nonetheless, it is smelling like it's going to be an awesome brew... and the first wort taste had the makings of something excellent. I will keep the thread posted on the progress.

Turned out excellent. Not an exact clone of Hopsecutioner, but a very good IPA nonetheless.

Here are my comparison notes (Images below):

Appearance: The color between the two is extremely close. Mine has a case of chill haze and I think that is showing more in the pictures than in real life. I took a close up of the bottom of the glasses to show the difference. If there is any difference at all, mine is a very slight bit darker... however, I feel that if it was clear, the color would be spot on.

Smell: Hopsecutioner has a strong citrus hop smell. Mine does not have quite that strong of a hop smell. I left out the Cascade dry hop (I didn't have much left and wanted to save it for the next brew) and feel that may have been one of the causes. I'm also feeling that I need to ease up on the Warrior a tad, and add more citrus type hops such as Chinook and Centennial.

Taste: The taste was close, but not exact. Again, this is a great IPA, but I wanted to clone Hopsectioner, and I don't feel it's exact enough. The taste comparison is similar to the smell in that I feel that there was not enough citrus hop overtones. I feel the Chinook and Centennial are my first places to start tweaking.

Mouthfeel: Very close here. I think they both have the same mouthfeel, however, I was quite surprised to see that my head retention and lacing whipped the junk out of Hopsectioner. It wasn't even close.

All in all, this is a great drinking IPA, and I would have no hesitation to brew it again. But, it's not a clone, and that was my goal... so I'm going to tweak the recipe a little further and post the changes.

Mine is on the right in the first picture outside... all the rest, the bottle shows which is which.

MT comparison 1.jpg

MT comparison 2.jpg

MT comparison 3.jpg

MT comparison 4.jpg

Thanks for the review. I just read mine again and they are similar. I didn't get the strong grapefruit flavor that the original had either. To be honest none of my IPA's (using the C hops) get the strong grapefruit flavor in them. I wonder if my hops aren't fresh or maybe its my water profile. If you adjust the C hops and it comes out better please post it. Thank you.

so cercueil, did you brew the DME version of the recipe you posted above? I haven't made the jump to all-grain yet and want to try this clone out. Is it safe to say that I can match the hop schedule along with the tweaks mentioned above and get something closer to hopsecutioner?

I haven't brewed the extract version but as long as you have nice fresh liquid or dry malt I think it would come out ok. The problem I had with extract is that I always finished at about 1.020 so your beer might be a little sweeter and have less alcohol but to be honest the abv is pretty high already so I don't think its a big deal.

Seeing this thread bumped back up reminds me to take another shot at this. The previous attempt didn't last very long in my house and now I'm excited to be reminded to make the changes previously posted. I'm personally going to start with lessening the amount of Warrior, and adding Simcoe and possibly Chinook. I think the Honey and Victory need to be backed off a slight bit as well. BullGator, not sure if you have Beersmith or not, but I'd be more than happy to post my changes if you don't and would find the revised recipe that I now plan on attempting helpful.

Well, I am down to my last 6 bottles of Yoopers DFH 60 clone. I wanted something new to try, so I am drinking a Hopsecutioner right now which brought me to this thread.

maffewl, have you brewed this again, and what tweaks did you make if you did?

Thanks!

hadn't really run into Hopsecutioner before until I tasted it at a festival about a month back -- and LOVED it. coming out of the keg you could really get your nose around the Amarillo and Cascades in it.

This is next on my brew schedule and based on what I've read here and the recent feedback from maffewl I'm going with the following:

Ingredients:
------------

1.05 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 10.0 %
11 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 3 73.3 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.7 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 21.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 28.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 14.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 9.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg Pacman (Wyeast #1764-PC) Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

ScottSingleton said:
hadn't really run into Hopsecutioner before until I tasted it at a festival about a month back -- and LOVED it. coming out of the keg you could really get your nose around the Amarillo and Cascades in it.

This is next on my brew schedule and based on what I've read here and the recent feedback from maffewl I'm going with the following:

Ingredients:
------------

1.05 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 2 10.0 %
11 lbs Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 3 73.3 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.7 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.7 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 21.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 28.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 14.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 9.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 4.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 3.7 IBUs

1.0 pkg Pacman (Wyeast #1764-PC) Yeast 14 -
2.00 oz Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Why add the rice hulls? No wheat/rye/flaked, so you shouldn't need it.

My RIMS system likes a high flow rate and it prevents the bed from compacting. I throw 5-10% rice hulls in everything :)

I have taken a brewing hiatus for several months... I believe as soon as my current Imperial IPA keg is kicked, a re-brew with changes of this shall be on the agenda.

Reviving this one... has there been any more attempts at this brew with the changes? I love Hopsecutioner and can't find a clone anywhere. Here's a recipe I came up with based on the OP's previous experience along with the Terrapin official info listed here... http://terrapinbeer.com/brew/year-round/hopsecutioner-ipa/. Thoughts welcome! And if there have been any more tries, I love to hear how they fared.

Boil Size: 6.56 gal

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.25 %
Bitterness: 78.8 IBU
Est Color: 11.4 SRM

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.57 %
2.75 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 18.03 %
1.50 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 9.84 %
1.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.56 %

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 39.6 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I brewed based upon this recipe and adjusted after reading the notes from the observation/tasting and looking at the grains/hops used on Terrapin's site, this is what I came up with (again, for a 5 gallon yield):

Grain Weight SRM Percentage
Pale Malt (2 Row) 10 2 65.5
Munich Malt 2.75 9 18
Crystal 20 1.5 20 10
Victory Malt 1 25 6.5
Total 15.25

Amount (Oz.) Name Time AAU Utilization IBU
1 Warrior 60 16 0.1845 35
0.5 Chinook 30 13 0.1415 11
1.25 Centennial 15 10.5 0.0925 14
0.5 Simcoe 15 13 0.0925 7
1 Irish Moss 15
1 Amarillo Gold 5 9.5 0.0365 4
Total IBU: 71
1.5 Cascade Dry Hop

1056 Wyeast - American Ale

Basically, I swapped the Crystal 20 for the Honey Malt, and added a quarter ounce of Centennial to the 15 minute addition, and a half ounce of Cascade to the dry hop. The malt swap helped the color quite a bit, I wasn't able to see a difference in the color (although the clone (on the left in the photo) had a little haziness (but not much) which could have been temperature difference, the clone was in my garage, the Hopsecutioner was in my fridge), and the added hops helped with the lack of the citrus taste, and boosted the aroma. IPA's are so strong that tasting side by side can be skewed, but I think we got pretty close with this recipe. If anyone else feels adventurous enough to try this, please let me know what you think.

Some additional notes - the primary fermentation ended up being 3 weeks (I had a last minute business trip that took me out of town during the time I had planned on racking to secondary) at 64-66 degrees, which is right in the middle of the range for the 1056. When I returned from the trip, I transferred to secondary for 1 week, primed and bottled (haven't gotten to the kegging point yet in my brewing past-time).

Anyway, I'd brew this again, and again, and again ...

IMG_20131215_203150.jpg

Great looking clone, Keirnal! If you don't mind I'd like to use your recipe for a batch a friend of mine requested. How long did you dry hop the cascade for?

Please do, i'd be interested in knowing how it turns out for you. I dry hopped 1 week in the secondary.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks! I'll most likely get to it in Mid march, got too much on my plate at the moment. I'll post back up with my results when it's done.

I brewed based upon this recipe and adjusted after reading the notes from the observation/tasting and looking at the grains/hops used on Terrapin's site, this is what I came up with (again, for a 5 gallon yield):

Grain WeightSRM Percentage
Pale Malt (2 Row)10 265.5
Munich Malt 2.75 918
Crystal 20 1.5 2010
Victory Malt1 256.5
Total15.25

Amount (Oz.)Name TimeAAUUtilizationIBU
1 Warrior 60160.184535
0.5 Chinook 30130.141511
1.25 Centennial 1510.50.092514
0.5 Simcoe 15130.09257
1 Irish Moss 15
1 Amarillo Gold 59.50.03654
Total IBU:71
1.5 CascadeDry Hop

1056 Wyeast - American Ale

Basically, I swapped the Crystal 20 for the Honey Malt, and added a quarter ounce of Centennial to the 15 minute addition, and a half ounce of Cascade to the dry hop. The malt swap helped the color quite a bit, I wasn't able to see a difference in the color (although the clone (on the left in the photo) had a little haziness (but not much) which could have been temperature difference, the clone was in my garage, the Hopsecutioner was in my fridge), and the added hops helped with the lack of the citrus taste, and boosted the aroma. IPA's are so strong that tasting side by side can be skewed, but I think we got pretty close with this recipe. If anyone else feels adventurous enough to try this, please let me know what you think.

Some additional notes - the primary fermentation ended up being 3 weeks (I had a last minute business trip that took me out of town during the time I had planned on racking to secondary) at 64-66 degrees, which is right in the middle of the range for the 1056. When I returned from the trip, I transferred to secondary for 1 week, primed and bottled (haven't gotten to the kegging point yet in my brewing past-time).

Anyway, I'd brew this again, and again, and again ...

What is the efficacy? Maybe I am missing it?

Since this thread was so helpful to me I'll throw my experience in.

I was tasked with brewing a beer as a Christmas gift for someone. I asked for some more info and it turns out he's a big fan of Hopsecutioner so I came here to build my recipe. Here's what I did:

10 lbs 2 row
2.75 lbs light munich
1.5 lbs honey malt
1 lb victory
.75 lb Carapils
.5 Flaked barley

A note on the Carapils and flaked barley: Apparently the guy at the LHBS and I had a failure to communicate. We were discussing the relative merits of each of them and I thought I told him to go with .5 lbs flaked barley instead of the .75 carapils I used on a previous batch. He evidently thought I said both. Oh well.

Mash: 150F, 75 minutes, 1.5 thickness, no mashout

Boil:
:60 .75 oz Chinook (11.4%)
:15 .25 oz Chinook
:15 1.0 oz Amarillo
:10 1.0 oz Simcoe
:10 1 tablet whirlfloc
:05 1.0 oz Centennial

Yeast: 2 packets US-05, rehydrated

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.013 (7.0% ABV)
IBU: 70
SRM: 12

Fermented at 65-66 for 7 days, then added 2 oz cascade to primary. I let it sit on the hops for 7 days at room temp (around 68) and then cold crashed it to 38 for 36 hours. Bottled to 2.2 volumes CO2

As far as the tasting, the recipient thought it was "just like Hopsecutioner" but I disagree! It is very good, my buddy and chief quality control officer said "Holy smokes that's a winner, make sure you wrote that recipe down."

On blind taste testing I had my wife take notes of my impressions without knowing which was which when comparing to the commercial version:
My version: More hop aroma, more sweetness, thinner body, lingering bitterness, better head retention, and slightly darker (ok those last two were blindfold off)
Commercial Hopsecutioner: More malt aroma, maltier taste, heavier body, smoother bitterness with a more crisp finish.

Next time around, if I do try to make it closer to the original, I'm gonna back off on the honey malt and maybe up the munich. Hopefully that will help the base of it stand up to the hops.

Thanks to those that have come before, and good luck to the next attempt!

Another update:

I entered this beer as an Amber (at the suggestion of the BJCP guy at my LHBS) and scored a 41, taking first in the category!:rockin:

Latest posts

Back