Does anyone really like scottish ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Brew

Reaction score
How many of you really like scottish ale? For those of you with the deranged taste buds and reply, yes, did you like it from the first taste?

There are many beers i don't really enjoy but have only found one style in which I can not even finish half a beer and thats the scottish ale.:drunk: I ask the question because this is the only beer in which i just don't get it.

You mean like McEwan's?

I certainly wouldn't kick a bottle of McEwan's out of bed for being Scotch.

I loved McEwan's from the first taste. I haven't brewed one yet, but it is inevitable.

Since I started reading here, I have learned to try a new style and ask myself under what circumstances I would like it.

Pilsners for instance. If it is hot enough outside and I have to spend enough time out there, a pilsner is going to sound like a great beer later today.

Before I was a brewer PU was pretty much a "meh" brew to me. Now I can appreciate the delicate balance between the malt and the hops and how narrow a line the brewer had to tread...

Try asking yourself if you can imagine a time and place where you would like a Scottish ale. You may never get to that place, but if you do that little voice will probably speak up...

Scottish ales are fantastic!!!! You aren't talking about the ales where they added peated malt though, are you? Those aren't actually scottish ales. They are merely make-believe imaginary scottish ales and, personally, I don't really like those.

Can't freakin' stand McEwan's. I'd rather drink water. It's the one style of beer that I've found so far that I simply can't take.

Fingers said:
Can't freakin' stand McEwan's. I'd rather drink water. It's the one style of beer that I've found so far that I simply can't take.

You know what, I can completely respect that, because that frees you up to focus on the styles you do like. And no one in this thread is busting on Scottish ales, just expressing opinions like grownups. Awesome.

:secret: I really don't care for weizens :secret:

I'm not a fan of Scottish Ales myself. They all have a weird twang and a slight acid taste that I don't find yummy at all.

Oh, and put me in the "I hope I like it because I have a batch going now" camp. I'm going to be transferring it to secondary and adding 1 oz. of whiskey soaked oak chips today.

I like them once in a while, although it's been years since I made a batch. My former brewing buddy was a nutcase on them. I'll buy a pint or a sixer when I want some.

I'm a fan. It isn't my favourite style but I like the malt focus. It is a good style to drink here in the wet, cool winter of the PNW when served at the appropriate temperature as a cold spritzy beer isn't what I'm looking for. Brew what you like, not everyone is going to like every style.

GT

I like it...unless it's peated. Keep the peat out of the Scottish ales, please!

Correctly brewed, most Scottish styles should be somewhat big and tip the balance scale toward malt. What's not to like?

I recently had a Wee Beast and it was great. I'm pretty sure it is a scottish ale and I have been looking for a recipie. Thanks for posting the scottish ale recipie.

I'm not sure I want to collect 11 gallons of wort and boil for three hours. That sounds like too much work for me.

I'm thinking I'll do a 10-12lb AG batch with the listed ingredients and adjust with DME to get the proper OG.

I think this is a great style of beer.

Bobby_M said:
What exactly don't you like about it?

The aftertaste is like getting hit in the throat with a wad of heated dirty gym socks. I heard the mention of peat malt and i am pretty sure that the three i have drank were peated (not quite sure what that means but i wouldn't be surprised if it refers to the peat definition of decaying organic matter). At least that means that maybe i can give scotch ale another shot as long as it is not peated, given so many of you are fans of scotch ale.

I'm a huge hophead, but I can also appreciate a well made, malty Scotch Ale as well. I've even brewed a couple that I've been very happy with.

Yeah, I gotta agree that this is one style I don't get. I've tried a few on different occasions just thinking that "the next one will be different" and I really can't get into it.

But hey, the world of beer is a big place. There's something for everyone. I'm a big belgian fan but I know some people that just can't stand belgians.

Drink what you want, that's the fun of homebrewing. :)

VA Brew said:
The aftertaste is like getting hit in the throat with a wad of heated dirty gym socks. I heard the mention of peat malt and i am pretty sure that the three i have drank were peated (not quite sure what that means but i wouldn't be surprised if it refers to the peat definition of decaying organic matter). At least that means that maybe i can give scotch ale another shot as long as it is not peated, given so many of you are fans of scotch ale.

Unfortunately at some point in the past the BJCP guidelines noted a "smoky" flavour in scotch ales. This was interpreted by some that peat smoked malt (normally used for making scotch whiskey) was an acceptable ingredient. It is, however, NOT used by brewers of scottish ales in Scotland. When used it is frequently overdone. I have brewed Jamils recipe many times and it has no peated malt in it and there is a very faint smoky flavour that is barely noticeable, presumably coming from the roasted malts and likely apparent as there is no hop flavour/bitterness to mask it.

GT

I thought that a Scottish sounded like a interesting brew so I recently picked up a McEwan's.
I really enjoyed it from the first sip. Wonderful malty, sweet beer. Sure it is weighted heavily towards the malt, but I really like it this way. It balances out the IPAs I also really like.
I thought the McEwan's was most similar in flavor to a Bock but I liked the Scotch Ale even better.

Craig

Yes, I like them and liked them right from the get-go. I had to grow into liking IPAs, but a nice malty beer really tastes good to me. I'll vote no on the peated as well.

Yuri_Rage said:
I like it...unless it's peated. Keep the peat out of the Scottish ales, please!

Correctly brewed, most Scottish styles should be somewhat big and tip the balance scale toward malt. What's not to like?

I disagree, slightly.

Walker's Gruagach 80/- recipe has a tiny bit of peat malt in it, which I think is exceptional. For some reason I have a hard time getting a smoke flavor out of the white labs scottish ale yeast, so I agree the recipe needed the peat malt to give it that authentic effect.

Is the White Labs not the best one to use when doing an authentic scottish ale? Does the Wyeast give a more smoky profile?

Otherwise, I love scottish ales. Old Chub is a nice example that we can get in the states, and in CANS. AWESOME!!!!

VA Brew said:

You had the Belhaven Scottish Ale? I defy you to drink that and tell me you don't like it. If you do, well, I'd have to say that your taste buds are shot. No offense. :cross:

Dude said:
I disagree, slightly.

Walker's Gruagach 80/- recipe has a tiny bit of peat malt in it, which I think is exceptional. For some reason I have a hard time getting a smoke flavor out of the white labs scottish ale yeast, so I agree the recipe needed the peat malt to give it that authentic effect.

Is the White Labs not the best one to use when doing an authentic scottish ale? Does the Wyeast give a more smoky profile?

Otherwise, I love scottish ales. Old Chub is a nice example that we can get in the states, and in CANS. AWESOME!!!!

Word. That's the drink of choice when they say "no glass bottles allowed". :rockin: We were chillin on the grass down in Boone, NC right before their final home football game, and we couldn't bring glass, so we had a sixer of old chub. I was in the middle of the sixer when everyone says, "time to go into the game". Ouch. I wasn't about to waste some old chub, so I downed the bastards right quick. Best binge drinkin I ever done.

Got Trub? said:
Unfortunately at some point in the past the BJCP guidelines noted a "smoky" flavour in scotch ales. This was interpreted by some that peat smoked malt (normally used for making scotch whiskey) was an acceptable ingredient. It is, however, NOT used by brewers of scottish ales in Scotland. When used it is frequently overdone. I have brewed Jamils recipe many times and it has no peated malt in it and there is a very faint smoky flavour that is barely noticeable, presumably coming from the roasted malts and likely apparent as there is no hop flavour/bitterness to mask it.

GT

If you read the BJCP guidelines for that style, it specifically mentiones that any smoked (or they use "earthy") should be entirely derived from the yeast, fermentation conditions (long and cold) and slightly from the darker grains. There should be no predominant smoked flavor and those that do, should fall under the smoked beers guidelines.

I to like scotch ales, but I hate the overdone smoked flavor you often get. It's like they fermented their beer in a dirty ashtray and it completely takes away from the malt flavor.

I used to hate them because they reminded me of Scotch, which I also hated.

Now I love both.

Does anyone believe that addage that your tastes change every 7 years?

Evan! said:
You had the Belhaven Scottish Ale? I defy you to drink that and tell me you don't like it. If you do, well, I'd have to say that your taste buds are shot. No offense. :cross:

That one is awesome.

Evan! said:

IMO, Belhaven's Wee Heavy is even better.

I am a big fan of Scottish ale but have found that for a lot of my friends it is an acquired taste. We're not used to malty beers in the States and the latest trends have all been towards more hops, not less.

Scottish ale is really a part of the British Isles tradition of brewing and as such relies on a very different flavor than what we Americans are subjected to.

Evan! said:

This has been the only Scottish Ale I've had. I left a third of the pint at the bar. Tasted like the final 1.010 runnings when I sparge. Nasty.

The first Scotch Ale I ever tried was unfortunately Sam Adams Scotch Ale. I hated it. Luckily this style of beer was rescued by my Secret Santa this year and after trying Highland Brewing's Tasgall Ale I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty Scotch Ale can be. It's really too bad they don't distribute to MN.

I love the scottish ales. If you like hoppy beers, then scottish ales aren't for you. I like the ones that DO NOT have peat malt in them. I recently tried Saranac's Scotch ale and I think there is peat in it b/c it had that taste and stayed with every sip.

Others I have tried that are really good are: Belhaven Scottish Ale, Belhaven Wee Heavy, McEwans (My favorite) and Traquair House.

Traquair House - Now there is a malt bomb of a beer if I have ever had one. That sucker is malty and head drops to a thin lacing immediately!

Back