Two Barrel-Aged Group Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the last month or so, I've brewed for two group barrel-aged projects. Both are 50+ gallons. I've never participated in projects like this before, so am interested in seeing how it turns out. Some of our thinking is that we might bring a keg of each to next year's AHA conference in Grand Rapids, for the homebrew club night.

The first is a Tripel and the second is an Imperial Mild (like that even makes sense ;) ) For the Tripel, we all brewed at our homes but using the same recipe. For the Imperial Mild, some of use hauled equipment to a friends farm and had a shared brew day, which was fun.

Here I am, brewing in the corn crib:

brewing-in-a-corn-crib-60540.jpg

Anyone else doing group projects, or barrel-aged brews? I'm thinking about buying a 30 gallon barrel from a local distillery (Koval) and doing another project with a friend - each of us doing 15 gallons.

26 hours and completely ignored - that sets a new record for me. Even if folks didn't want to talk about their barrel projects, I thought someone might comment on this stunning photo of me brewing in dirt.

I don't really have a group thing going. I have a 15gal barrel I use. Its a ***** to fill with high gravity, but even a low gravity brew is a pain because my kettle is only 15 gal. So I can do high gravity and dilute or I have to two batches just like with high gravity brews. I'd like to get a kettle capable of 30 gal boils for barrel filling purposes. I'd eventually like to get a couple wine barrels and fill them on my own. That will necessitate me buying another house first. Anyhow, hope the group things work out. I bet it can be a pain in the butt pulling the beer from the barrel in an orchestrated manner that agrees with the schedules of all involved.

I understand the smaller the barrel, the more careful you have to be regarding timing, because of the increased surface area exposed to wood. As for the group pulling the beer, yes, we'll need to find a time when we can all do it, or at least give our clean/sanitized kegs to the barrel-keeper.

Our club the MCZA (Mid-Columbia Zymurgy Association) is fortunate enough to do two group brew sessions a year using a local micro-brewery's equipment. We call them megabrews and usually produce around 300 gallons of ferment-able wort of which each member takes some home to ferment with their choice of yeast and temp. We've not done a barrel aging as of yet, at least since I've joined. If any of you in clubs have a microbrewery that supports you I highly encourage to inquire for the possibility of conducting "megabrews" on their equipment. We always have a staff member there to supervise and help with equipment. Cheers! :)

Our club the MCZA (Mid-Columbia Zymurgy Association) is fortunate enough to do two group brew sessions a year using a local micro-brewery's equipment. We call them megabrews and usually produce around 300 gallons of ferment-able wort of which each member takes some home to ferment with their choice of yeast and temp. We've not done a barrel aging as of yet, at least since I've joined. If any of you in clubs have a microbrewery that supports you I highly encourage to inquire for the possibility of conducting "megabrews" on their equipment. We always have a staff member there to supervise and help with equipment. Cheers! :)

That's an interesting idea for a group brew that I had not thought of before - thanks.

26 hours and completely ignored - that sets a new record for me. Even if folks didn't want to talk about their barrel projects, I thought someone might comment on this stunning photo of me brewing in dirt.

I thought you were taller with bigger muscles.

Our club did a barrel project and won the BRO competition at the SoCal HBfest with it.

I've recently been invited on two myself, though we haven't brewed yet. One will be a barrel aged barleywine and the other either a Flanders Red, or a Lambic.

That cardboard windscreen is clever. And flammable.

Looks like you're missing your right pinky. Sure sign of an Italian loan gone wrong.

Good man, the cornhole is ready. I love that game. I challenge thee.

Good luck with your barrel projects.

I need to stop by Koval today and see if they have any 30 gallon barrels available. Brewing up a big Wee Heavy or RIS, barrel it and serve it at the AHA next year would be so cool.

I'd love to get my hands on a barrel or get in on a group barrel aging brew.

I want to make and age a white wine in a barrel then do something like a nelson sauvin/galaxy ipa in the barrel.

My club has done three batches in our JD barrel we purchased, great fun! First was a RIS that was 12% going into the barrel. Second was a Belgian Dark strong. Both of those have turned out lovely, but especially the RIS. The last one we did is still in the barrel, it is a Flanders Red and so far is getting pretty funky, but we may leave it in for a few more months.

My club has done three batches in our JD barrel we purchased, great fun! First was a RIS that was 12% going into the barrel. Second was a Belgian Dark strong. Both of those have turned out lovely, but especially the RIS. The last one we did is still in the barrel, it is a Flanders Red and so far is getting pretty funky, but we may leave it in for a few more months.

I imagine the barrel was pretty funkified after two beers in any case, so it probably made sense to go ahead and do a sour in it. But from now on, of course, you'll have to do sours in it.

I imagine the barrel was pretty funkified after two beers in any case, so it probably made sense to go ahead and do a sour in it. But from now on, of course, you'll have to do sours in it.

It would be interesting to cut it and do a mash in it.

Back