JAOM finishing dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VCTFernandes

Reaction score
On 02/14 I started a 1g batch of JAOM and followed the quantities exactly. Unfortunately, my hydrometer cracked so I wasn't able to measure the OG.
Fermentation went on very healthy and strong...
So, yesterday, 02/23 I measured it with my new hydrometer and it indicated 1.006 (it still shows signs of an active fermentation, so the lil beasties ain't dead yet).
I need some help in pinpointing what went wrong so I have some hypothesis:
1) I ended up with a low OG, despite adding 3.5lbs of honey? (Possible, as I used some low quality honey)
2) I've got some mutant bread yeast? (maybe because I rehydrated it instead of just sprinkling it on the must)

What should I do now? Add more honey now or wait until it clears to backsweeten?

Thanks, guys!

On 02/14 I started a 1g batch of JAOM and followed the quantities exactly. Unfortunately, my hydrometer cracked so I wasn't able to measure the OG.
Fermentation went on very healthy and strong...
So, yesterday, 02/23 I measured it with my new hydrometer and it indicated 1.006 (it still shows signs of an active fermentation, so the lil beasties ain't dead yet).
I need some help in pinpointing what went wrong so I have some hypothesis:
1) I ended up with a low OG, despite adding 3.5lbs of honey? (Possible, as I used some low quality honey)
2) I've got some mutant bread yeast? (maybe because I rehydrated it instead of just sprinkling it on the must)

What should I do now? Add more honey now or wait until it clears to backsweeten?

Thanks, guys!
Well it's rather strange/unusual that it's got down that low. The recipe usually finishes in the 1.020-1.030 sort of area.

If you added more honey now, it might still ferment further if it's still going, yet at the same time if you cleared it and then back sweetened it with honey you might get a protein haze that would need to be cleared.

I'd just let it do it's thing, then once the batch is clear and the fruit has dropped, take a taste and see what it's like. JAO's made with wine yeasts often finish dry, which tends to focus the taste on the bitterness that comes from the orange pith, whereas when it's sweeter, the sugars mask the bitterness and balance it nicely.

I fear the bitterness as one mead I made before ended up too bitter and I had to forget it, hoping that some aging might fix it.
What about stabilizing? Would Joe sue me if I did it?

I fear the bitterness as one mead I made before ended up too bitter and I had to forget it, hoping that some aging might fix it.
What about stabilizing? Would Joe sue me if I did it?
Well if you can't suss out why the bread yeast has taken it dry-ish then it'd be belt and braces to stabilise it.

Sweetness, acid, tannin etc can all be used to mask one or more faults, too balance it up some.....

Hello guys,

I ended up adding more honey until the lil beasties died.
I just racked this JAOM off the lees and fruit. It's almost clear and it tastes definitely bitter because of the orange pith.
The SG is 1.026 so I'm thinking:
Does it need more honey or is this taste normal in a young JAOM?

As far as my limited experience and knowledge goes, JAOM tends to be bitter when young due to the pith in the oranges. Actually, in most cases mead isn't very good young due to the high alcohol content. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) You're going to have to age it for a while. I'd say at least six months :( if it helps any, I'm getting into cider as well as mead so I have something to sip on while I wait for the mead batches. Cider does pretty well young. Perhaps this is the route for you as well :)

My last Joam was "OK" at 3 months. Better at 4 months but did not want to share it with friends. At 5 months it was about the same. At 6 months I caught myself smiling much more at tasting it and shared it with some family and the 7 month mark it started really tasting good. But I ran out :(

Give it some time and you will love thi stuff later.

Back