Time to experiment....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasbek

Reaction score
Have done 10 extract kits, now looking to have some fun with this. I have a wyeast 1056 yeast cake to reuse, and a willamette hop packet that was in my last kit, that shouldn't have been, so looking to use that. Thinking about buying some dme, using 1056, then maybe splitting the batch and adding different ingredients. I am open to any suggestions.... Was probably going to bitter with Columbus, aroma with the willamette. What have you all used to create a good, but interesting beer that is a little different?

Any of the "c" hops will play nicely together. Willamette is a super duper aroma hop with a lot of flowers and spice notes. Think of it as a noble hop. If it were me, i'd use columbus as your bittering hop, cascade as a flavoring hop addition and then a buttload of willamette as an aroma hop via a hop steep after the boil. You should be able to produce a nice hoppy IPA with that hops schedule.

Sounds good! About 1/5th to 1/10th of the cake is all you'll need for a similar gravity beer.

What other flavors would work with an ipa? Any fruit or spice additions. Really looking to use this as a chance to try something different with a split batch. Vanilla? Coffee? Strawberry?

blasbek said:
What other flavors would work with an ipa? Any fruit or spice additions. Really looking to use this as a chance to try something different with a split batch. Vanilla? Coffee? Strawberry?

Rose hips, rose water, or both!

Back