first time winer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHB

Reaction score
Hey folks, first timer here. Planning a 15 gallon batch of plum wine with Lalvin 5 gram RC-212 bourgovin. How many packs should I use, what attenuation can I expect? What do I need to do with the water? The bicarbonate level of my tap water is very high and not suitable for brewing beer. Thanks for your help!!!

I buy bottled spring water from the store.

As far as yeast, you can make a starter with one package of yeast or buy 3 packets.

I make starters and use 1 pack of yeast. For a 15 gallon batch the recipe for my starter would be:

6 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups honey
3/4 tsp yeast nutrients
30 fine chopped raisins

Mix all together well. Sprinkle yeast on top and do not stir into the starter. Cover with paper towel and rubber band. Wait 8 hours and pitch yeast.

Now I have no real beer brewing experience but have started & specialize in meads and love making wine. I think attenuation is more of a beer brewing terminology. With wines you get a full fermentation with gravities getting as low as 0.990 which makes it very dry with no leftover sweetness. Your yeast choice can go up to around 16% ABV so the wine should go dry unless you add a bunch of sugar.

I use a brita filter on my water and have made some darn fine brews with tap. Should be fine with any wine recipe.

I would also do some looking around for RC-212 nutrition requirements. I had a very bad issue with a Barbera, but my temperature got very high, so maybe that made the issue much worse. Something I read, maybe on here from someone said you should give it nutrients several times in the first few days.

I'm lazy and impatient (bad combo), I buy multiple packets and rehydrate in diluted must and pitch after 30 minutes or so.

Watch your plums too---depending on source of plums you may run into acidity issues. So if you have the tools to check TA and pH please do so. Would definitely recommend spring water since your home water is not suitable for fermentation.

Have fun.

Latest posts

Back