Filling CO2 tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danhocker

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my first kegerator. The problem is I have no idea where to get the CO2 filled. Anyone have any suggestions on what type of places I should be looking for to get the tank filled?

Any welding supply shop should be able to fill/swap tanks. Your Local Home Brew Shop may be able to swap used for new tanks as well. As mentioned above, fire extinguisher places can also fill/swap.

Also, when I first got my kegging setup, I got a shiny new aluminum tank. In order to keep that tank, I had to find somewhere that would fill, rather than swap, tanks. The fire extinguisher place could fill while I waited. A lot of the commercial gas places don't want to mess with this and just want to swap it out for whatever is on hand.

Honestly, that's faster and easier. But I just can't give up my shiny aluminum tank.

Also, when I first got my kegging setup, I got a shiny new aluminum tank. In order to keep that tank, I had to find somewhere that would fill, rather than swap, tanks. The fire extinguisher place could fill while I waited. A lot of the commercial gas places don't want to mess with this and just want to swap it out for whatever is on hand.

Honestly, that's faster and easier. But I just can't give up my shiny aluminum tank.

Exactly. Nothing makes a gas shop happier than getting your shiny expensive tank and giving you a rusty piece of crap.

I've never received a piece of crap tank for a shiny one. My LHBS has some pretty nice ones on hand.

Got mine filled at a welding supply company for $1.00 per pound. Filled one 5 lb and one 3 lb tank for $8.00

I use a co2 shop. I thought it was odd too! They sell dry ice, service commercial accounts for co2 and sell co2 to the public. It costs seven bucks to fill a ten pound tank. The only downside is that they only fill tanks on Tuesday.
Jim

How about Beer Gas? I think Fire extinguisher shops only have co2, not nitro. But not sure if about welding shops. Has anyone had nitro (beer gas)tanks filled other than, say Air-Gas?

Where to get a beer gas mix (nitro) tank filled in Portland, Or., other than Air-gas. A good example of how a state or local forum might be quite useful, for specific names of places.

We have a place that makes dry ice in town that fills your bottle. They can even hydro your bottle if it's out of test. I think the name is American Carbonics so maybe it is a chain?

I get my beer gas at a welding supply store. The guy didn't know what I was asking for when I said beer gas, but when I said it was what they use for Guinness he goes "oh, Guinness gas"

b-doh

I see lots of people talking about nitro? By nitro you are talking about elemental nitrogen (N) and not nitrous oxide (N2O)?

I'm in the process of building my first kegerator. The problem is I have no idea where to get the CO2 filled. Anyone have any suggestions on what type of places I should be looking for to get the tank filled?

Air Gas is a big company with a lot of locations that will usually fill your cylinder vs the welding shops that will probably just want to swap you (cuz they send their empties Air Gas).

Back