Filtering to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svenhook

Reaction score
So I did my first partial mash recently. It is currently in my primary fermenter. I took a gravity reading after about a week and I noticed it is extremely cloudy. Once the fermentation is done, i am going to dry hop it in a secondary fermenter and I was wondering if there is a goody way to filter the wort is. I will be using an auto-siphon so I was thinking maybe wrapping some coffee filters around it or maybe some system with a strainer or something. Anyone have experience with that.

No need to filter. Let the beer sit in primary for up to 3 or 4 weeks (depends on the OG). Hogh gravity beers you can let sit in primary longer. The longer primary will alow the yeast to clean up after themselves and allow the trub to compact. When you are ready to transfer make sure you keep the siphon up off of the trub on the bottom of the bucket. You may need to leave just a wee bit of beer in the bottom to keep from sucking up the trub into the siphon and into the secondary.

After you dry hop you may want to filter into the bottling bucket or the keg. I use the cheap mesh hop bag and a rubber band to hold it onto the siphon. make sure you sanitize both.

What you don't want to do is to filter as the beer is pouring into the next vessel as that will introduct O2 into the beer and that will give you a bad taste.

Back