Plumbing Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblee50

Reaction score
I'm about to put together a plastic conical fermentator I'm getting from US Plastics. My idea is to bring the drain valve out horizontally. To do so I'll use a 2" nipple, 2" elbow, 2 to 1" reducer, 1" nipple, 1" ss ball valve, and a 1 to 1/2" barbed fitting. The parts in between the tank and the valve are polypropylene.

My concern is this: Will the wort find its way into the threads and create contamination problems? I don't want to have to take this apart each time to clean and sanitize. Is there a better way? I need to make the 90 degree turn due to height restriction in ferminator.

Cant U build leg extensions? Or just build your own base the hieght U want it?
I know not everybody has a welder, but if U do this would be the way I would go.
If fact I am thinking of buying the 15 gal but without the stand so I can build to suit my needs........

That's what I am planning to do too. The stand USP sells makes the tank too high to fit in my fermentator, so I plan to construct one that will work. To do that, I need to turn the drain out, requiring all the pieces I mentioned.

Back