how efficient was this mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
My first all-grain. Here is the recipe:

Recipe: Red Trolley Clone
TYPE: ALL GRAIN

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 14.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.6 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

------

I mashed around 158 for 45 min. Since this was my first time using a converted cooler, I wasn't sure how fast I needed to dran the mash tun, so I got some stuck sparges at first, and it took almost 25 min to drain a 3 gallon cooler initially. The sparge went much better and maybe took 10 minutes to drain that. Now I know what to do for next time.

I measured the gravity and it came in a 1.055 at 117 degrees. I collected 4 gallons of wort. One question: I am not sure how to calculate the efficiency, mainly because I don't know if I am supposed to convert that 1.055 reading to the standarn or what!?! The gravity reading at pitching (with 3 gallons in the fermenter) was 1.064 at 84 degrees. So, maybe 1.067 at most.

Can anyone tell me my efficiency? Thanks!

Mk010101 said:
My first all-grain. Here is the recipe:

Recipe: Red Trolley Clone
TYPE: ALL GRAIN

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 14.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.6 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Glacier [5.60%] (5 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

------

I mashed around 158 for 45 min. Since this was my first time using a converted cooler, I wasn't sure how fast I needed to dran the mash tun, so I got some stuck sparges at first, and it took almost 25 min to drain a 3 gallon cooler initially. The sparge went much better and maybe took 10 minutes to drain that. Now I know what to do for next time.

I measured the gravity and it came in a 1.055 at 117 degrees. I collected 4 gallons of wort. One question: I am not sure how to calculate the efficiency, mainly because I don't know if I am supposed to convert that 1.055 reading to the standarn or what!?! The gravity reading at pitching (with 3 gallons in the fermenter) was 1.064 at 84 degrees. So, maybe 1.067 at most.

Can anyone tell me my efficiency? Thanks!

Uh, I could be way wrong as I just did my first AG, but wouldn't you want to take
your OG at 70 F and then drain to the fermenter then?

Pitching at 84 F in the fermenter seems a little hot to me too. I usually don't pitch
until around close to 70 F. You don't want to kill the yeast.

-- Trev

You won't kill the yeast at 84, but it is a bit warm...

According to Promash, 1.064 @ 84F equates to about 1.067, wich would be a 78% efficiency.

omniscientomar said:
You won't kill the yeast at 84, but it is a bit warm...

According to Promash, 1.064 @ 84F equates to about 1.067, wich would be a 78% efficiency.

Not trying to hijack this thread but thanks omni! I am still learning and new at this,
just finished my first AG of a Fat Tire clone. Reading up on Palmer's book too.

I am in SF BA too, nice to see another brewer in the area.

Thanks,

-- Trev

trev said:
Not trying to hijack this thread but thanks omni! I am still learning and new at this,
just finished my first AG of a Fat Tire clone. Reading up on Palmer's book too.

I am in SF BA too, nice to see another brewer in the area.

Thanks,

-- Trev

Yeah, there's quite a few of us around here, we just seem to hide more... where do you get your supplies from?

Fermentation Solutions in Campbell.

The owner's, Rick and Marie are great!

Cheers,

-- Trev

You want your sparge to run about 45 to 60 min, with 60 min being optimum for efficiency. Thats for fly sparging.

Check your gravity and stop sparging when it drops (compensated for temp) to 1.010 or when your PH drops by 0.2 (which is basically what has by 1.020 gravity reading..it's actually the PH that is a concern).

Cool, thanks. I suspected it was in the 70's, so I am happy that it was closer to 80%. I forgot to say I batch sparged. It seems easiest and even if fly sparging will yield 3-5% more, it isn't worth my time for that small amount.

As to pitching yeast at 85. Sure it is a bit warm, but since you rehydrate the yeast at 90 degrees, I saw no harm in it. It was a dry yeast pack of 1056 for a 3 gallon batch, so there was way more than enough in case some died. It started fermenting within 6 hours.

The reason pitching high can be a problem is the amount of esters the yeast generates when that warm, not the yeast dieing. Just depnds on how fast the beer dropped to normal range.

I wouldn't worry to much though.

Back