Bobby style keggle jig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maltose

Reaction score
I really like passedpawn's cutting jig but since my Dewalt angle grinder didn't have a screw mount in the top of the head, I decided to go with a quick mock up of Bobby_M's tried-and-true model. Works pretty well, went through about one and a half 1/16" x 4.5" metal cutting blades in about 15 minutes. Thanks, Bobby. :mug:

BEFORE

2.jpg

AFTER

1.jpg

You may already done this, but take a grinding wheel and then a flap wheel to the cut. It'll clean up the edges and prevent you from cutting your arm and fingers when using it.

yeah i used a medium grit then finished it off by hand with a soft grit sandpaper. it doesn't take much contact to open you up a little--i don't think a photo of this from yesterday is necessary ;)

i've been hearing that about 1" above the bottom weld is the usual place to put a 1/2" coupler for a ball valve. is that correct? obviously you would want it as close to the bottom as you can get it, but just to get an idea. i also have 2 false bottoms from sabco for the BK and MLT, should the ball valve be up higher in order to use a dip tube on these?

About 1 inch is around the right spot, but the most important thing is too make sure your entire coupling is on a level spot. Meaning you must get it above the bottom curvature near that bottom weld.

Most false bottoms sit pretty low in the keg, so you should not have a problem with the diptube there. But I would certainly wait until you get your false bottom to test fit it. It's really hard to patch a hole in a keg!

And as long as you have a dip tube, and your solder joints are good, it really does not matter how high off the bottom you valve is (within reason).

I have that same grinder, my design was a tad less bulky, but yours was probably easier to operate.

DSC04986.jpg

DSC04985.jpg

DSC04984.jpg

DSC04982.jpg

DSC04981.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack, you did a nice job on that keg. Did you cut a specific diameter to accept lids?

yeah, 12". i really like your design. mine cost me about $2 for the bolts. already had a grinder and used some of my landlord's extra baseboard in the basement ;)

Back