Too late to spice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heyyyo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've been planning on making a spiced mead for the holidays but, what with school and whatnot I never got around to starting a new batch. I do, however, have two 5-gallon batches of mead (one's wildflower, one's clover) that are almost ready to be bottled. I was curious, is it too late to spice one of these and let it go for another month or two? Will I wind up with a sub par product by doing it this way?

Also, does anyone know if a different honey makes a better spiced mead? Does it even matter?

Thanks..

-Heyyyo

I wouldn't think it would be too late to add spices. Be sure and try it periodically to prevent the mead from being overwhelmed by the spices.

A mead, brewed with spices is called a metheglin. A mead that has had spices added afterwards is called a mulled mead. Both are quite good, and both taste somewhat different. If you are making it for winter a mulled mead not only is very appropriate but also very traditional. It is also done as certain spices do not hold up well to brewing.

In any case try it and see. I am sure you will be presently surprised. Just remember a little goes a long way. Try adding Allspice, Cinnamon, Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg, Citrus Rind or Mace.

Back