Frak siphoning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomadic_Joel

Reaction score
NEVER doing that again. Every post I ever read said "just fill your hose and racking cane full of sanitizer and water" so easy, boom done.

The last two batches I have done, I tried short hoses, long hoses. I have no idea what I was/am doing wrong. I have stolen gas so many times....why cant I get a siphon going!! :)

Im buying an auto siphon.

Anyone else have gadgets to help the siphon go easier?

Even my auto-siphon is hit or miss sometimes, but I have found that if I can't get a good siphon going I can just use the auto-siphon like a pump. It doesn't take that many strokes to move a batch from one container to another. I just use slow steady strokes so as not to introduce too much air.

Does anyone make a squeeze-bulb type siphon pump, like the kind used for kerosene heaters, etc?

Even my auto-siphon is hit or miss sometimes, but I have found that if I can't get a good siphon going I can just use the auto-siphon like a pump. It doesn't take that many strokes to move a batch from one container to another. I just use slow steady strokes so as not to introduce too much air.

Does anyone make a squeeze-bulb type siphon pump, like the kind used for kerosene heaters, etc?

I've found that people who are having issue with their A/S are usually using too large a size of plastic tubing on the end....try using a plastic hose clamp like this, over the hose somewhere along the length before the bend.

SNP-10.jpg

Other people have found that the gasket on the bottom end of the racking tube (that fits inside the big tube) may be bad, or dried, some have added some keglube/foodgrade silicone grease around it to make a better seal, others just put some water on top of the gasket (like with a turkey baster) inside the tube, and that makes for an air tight seal.

Hit or miss Autosiphons are hit or miss usually because of a bad seal in one of the two afore mentioned spots.

Thanks Revvy--I've kinda suspected I was getting some air where the hose connects to the autosiphon. I think my LHBS has some of those clamps--I'll pick up a couple and see if that helps.

Back