Dryhopping in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Taking a page from Jamil Zainasheff's book, I hate to use a secondary for a multitude of reasons.

One exception seems to have always hit: Dry Hopping. However, I'm starting to wonder if dry hopping in the primary would be ok after the fermentation is essentially over with.

So my question is: what flavors would change by dryhopping in the primary on day 8-9 for a week versus transferring the beer to a secondary and dryhopping in there?

I'm not worried about Autolysis -- my yeast is healthy and I'm keeping temps controlled at 68. No way is the yeast going to start spewing **** all in my beer after only 2 weeks.

That is how I have always done it... I am pretty lazy. It just makes racking to the keg a little more complicated.

I am also going to be dry hopping in my primary soon. I was given hop pellets over the leaves... does anyone have a good technique for dry hopping with pellets?

I throw the hop pellets in primary after about a week. then it sits for a week,then I cold crash it for a week. I only rack to secondary if I need my bigger carboy or am adding fruit.

I'm planning on dry hopping in primary.

Great podcast if you have the time
The Brewing Network.com - :

Dry hopping in primary just as fermentation subsides gives you some protection from oxidation since the yeast are still a bit active. Also it seems to be best to dry hop for a week or less.

My first dry-hop was an IPA in the primary....using pellets. A bit more trub but was great. It was my 4th brew and LOVED it. :mug:

I'm planning on dry hopping in primary.

Great podcast if you have the time
The Brewing Network.com - :

Dry hopping in primary just as fermentation subsides gives you some protection from oxidation since the yeast are still a bit active. Also it seems to be best to dry hop for a week or less.

I was actually listening to the front end of that podcast this morning -- gonna finish it up on the way home today.

Sweet-- I'll toss those pellets in there when I get home. Do you guys put them in neked or w/ a hopbag? I'm thinking a little nekedness and then a swirl.

In the "Can you Brew it" Podcast w/ Lagunitas IPA, they discussed dryhopping times/temps -- they brewer at lagunitas said they do 68 degrees for less than a week. Sounds perfect to me.

Nealf -- what kind of complications you get when racking? renegade pellets stuffing up the siphon?

I have never used a hop bag myself... just let it fly.

I am generally not too careful when racking... so if it bothers you getting some pellet particles in the keg just take some more care. I don't generally bother too much either way. But, a lot of people like to keep yeast out of the keg.

I have never used a hop bag myself... just let it fly.

I am generally not too careful when racking... so if it bothers you getting some pellet particles in the keg just take some more care. I don't generally bother too much either way. But, a lot of people like to keep yeast out of the keg.

Sweet -- w/ the little filter cap at the end, I'm sure I won't have too much trouble.

Thanks for the quick answers guys!:mug:

I throw the hop pellets in primary after about a week. then it sits for a week,then I cold crash it for a week. I only rack to secondary if I need my bigger carboy or am adding fruit.

+1 to this. I just wait till the primary fermenting is finished and then throw the pellets directly into my fermenter. Then I give it a gentle swirl, wait a week and then rack off. When I am racking I utilize a jelly strainer to make sure that I don't get any lovely hop particles (though they tend to sink and glue themselves pretty well to the trub)

I throw 1 oz. of pellets in the primary on day 4, stirring gently. I stir again on day 7 and on day 10, again gently with a sanitized spoon. I've done this on 4 brews now and has worked very well for providing a nice hoppy nose/flavor. It also gets the yeast re-suspended which is nice if its a high floc'er. I use buckets so this procedure is a breeze. The idea is to add hops while the yeast is still fairly active, so the warm conditions help with releasing the hop aromatics. The active yeast also scrubs any O2 introduced during dry hopping. At least in theory.

I heard about this listening to a Basic Brewing Radio podcast. Lots of great info from the pros in those episodes...

In the "Can you Brew it" Podcast w/ Lagunitas IPA, they discussed dryhopping times/temps -- they brewer at lagunitas said they do 68 degrees for less than a week. Sounds perfect to me.

The Lagunitas guy also said that you should get rid of as much yeast as possible before dry hopping because the yeast binds up the hop oils and takes it with them when you eventually rack.

I think that's the main reason that even JZ (I believe) uses secondaries for dry hopping.

The Lagunitas guy of course has conicals that he just dumps the yeast.

I don't think it contributes any off flavours just doesn't allow for optimal hop utilization.

Rudeboy

Latest posts

Back