Who wants to pick my next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
I'll be home from deployment in hopefully less then 30 days. And I plan on cleaning out my equipment and firing up the stove for my next batch ASAP.

I thought it would be fun for people to suggest a brew, and why.

I'm looking for a light brew, something that would be enjoyable to drink during a nice hot Texas summer day/evining.

The only rule is, it has to be extract. Steeping grains is possible, but I can't really do a mini-mash.

So, what do yall recommend? :mug:

Gotta say American Wheat. I have done a few batches of wheat and have always been pleased. I generally use a clean yeast like WL 001. I prefer this to a Hefe yeast, though some will likely disagree. Welcome Home.

Why not make a steam beer? That is, if you have cooling capabilities...although it's not really cooled...well unless...ah just look it up! My reasoning is that it's truly an only american concoction, strictly an american style. What better reason after deployment? It was drank by the hard working gold miners in california and was inventing on our soil.

If that isn't a possibility, maybe an APA? That's one beer i think is best suited for summer and can be made quick, easy, and be delicious.

Glad to hear you're coming back. Thanks

There are too many choose from! My good friend is stationed in Qatar, and returns home next month as well. He is stationed in the Air Force, and luckily doesn't get to go where they danger is.

Godspeed a safe return!

PS - At any rate, my favorites are Pale Ale, Belgian Wit, Scotch Ale, and Belgian Wit.

hefeweizen is easiest, cheapest, and tastiest for an extract brew.

all you need is:

6 lbs Wheat DME (or 7 lbs Wheat LME)
1 oz Hallertau (or tettnanger, or saaz) for 60 minutes
WLP300 fermented consistently anywhere from 62*F - 72*F

Bam! great german hefeweizen.

if you want american, you could add some flavor and aroma hops and change the yeast.

i also prefer to steep a bit of munich with my extract weizens.

I like Matt Folely's suggestion of an American Wheat-- I'd also suggest a Blonde Ale. I just brewed BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde it has turned out quite well. I like Blonde Ales because they are quite easy for non-homebrewers that don't enjoy real beer, haha....and if you're just coming back, I'm sure you've got a bunch of buddies to be enjoying some homebrews with!

Back