Using Bread Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARCELO178

Reaction score
I have some grain left in my beer locker, but I have used all my Yeast, So I was thinking in make a hefe weizen with bread yeast.
I have read some articles that says that hefe weizen beers were made by bread yeast in some point of history.
Did Anybody try something like that?

I have some Paulaners here, that is a great idea!
But I was really thing in the experience of bread yeast use.
Anyway, I will read about pitching the yeast from other beer.

Thanks!

From what I have read, using bread yeast will NOT produce something you would want to drink.

I've never tried it, but I've never heard of anyone making something drinkable using bread yeast to ferment a beer.

I will try to use bread yeast.
I did some research and I have some interesting info:
Bread or Ale Yeast are Saccharomyces cerevisiae, that is ok, I think everybody knows that.
So I Found out the attenuation of the yeast.
here are the numbers that I got in the fermentis site:
safbrew wb-06 = 86%
safbrew s-33 = 70%
safale s-04= 75%

I know tha bread yeast has attenuation between 85% and 90%. Numbers that make the bread yeast in the Weissbier category.
I could do like everyone and say that bread yeast make horrible beer, but the info do not say that, and I will try.
I will post the results later.

You can make Joe's Ancient Orange Mead with bread yeast, and that is brewer tested & approved. I've heard there are some beers that are made specifically with bread yeast but I have not tried them nor have I tried brewing one of them myself. In the before time, the long long ago, there was no clear distinction between bread yeast and brewer's yeast. It's probably also worth noting, though, that centuries of naturally selecting the strains we use for brewing is almost certain to mean that brewer's yeast will produce better results a vast majority of the time.

I'm sure you'll make beer, and if you up for experimenting may I make a suggestion? Try 3 small batches, all fermented at different temperatures (say 55, 60, and 65 for example). It would be interesting to note the differences in flavor contribution when fermented at different temps. If you are committed to brewing with the bread yeast, the multiple batches will yield some good data for us all to have when someone else inevitably comes back to the forum with the same idea.

I'm sure I've seen a video on Basic Brewing in the past that did exactly this. They said it made good beer IIRC. You might search for it on their website.

I brewed my bread yeast weizen bier 11 days ago. But I think I may have a contamination. As I said, 11 days gone and the CO2 keeps going out. I never had a beer that released CO2 for such a long time. But Some people said to me that bread yeast works very slow.
Is there anybody with any experience with bread yeast?

I have not done a beer with bread yeast but I did do a mead. I started three meads the same night and the one with bread yeast was the slowest. I used D47 and B71 as the other yeasts.

Back before I really started brewing I made a mead with bread yeast. Looks amazing but tastes like rubbing alcohol. I've been saving some in the hopes it'll get better but over 3 years now and still no. I may have screwed something else up but I blame the bread yeast.

Back