What does fermented Malta Goya taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManPlan

Reaction score
Google searched these forums and I keep reading that people were fermenting Malta Goya but never came back to post results. I think only one person did, but didn't give a good description.

So to anyone that actually did ferment Malta Goya, what did it taste like?

I've tasted the fermented product of Malta from a yeast starter. To me it tastes somewhat like Yuengling.

Also, to make an alcoholic Malta Goya, can I just add a bit of Vodka to a Malta?

Is Vodka purely water and ethanol, the same kind produced in making beer, or is it made of something else? I'm kind of a newbie at beer knowledge.

In the same way you can make an alcoholic coke by adding rum to it.

You will get a sweet, fizzy mixed drink which bears only the most passing resemblance to beer.

My son, 10yrs old, wanted to try Malta Goya. He thought 'malted' meant beer and would be cool. I bought a bottle as a novelty, tasted like crap, really bad, to us at least.
To each his own, a lot of folks must like it. It has been around forever.

Found some on sale at Aldis a few weeks ago. Pure ass to me. Perhaps an acquired taste.

It's an acquired taste similar to Vegemite. I live in Puerto Rico and Malta Goya has a dedicated spot in every gas station and restaurant cooler.

There are a lot of different brands out there besides Goya and they all taste as different as different brands of beer do. Malta India is my woman's favorite. I have always wanted to try Malta Guinness. I don't drink malta too often but when I find a strange or interesting looking single bottle at the bodega I like to check it out. Malta Goya has corn syrup added so it is cloyingly sweet, some of the lesser known brands are drier and hoppier.

Latest posts

Back