Midwest Liberty Cream Ale Spin Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtyler8140

Reaction score
I'm going to the beach with some family this summer and they generally drink light beer. I was hoping to brew a lighter beer that they would enjoy. I am currently set up to do extract brews and don't have any lagering equipment at this point. I figured I would give the Liberty Cream Ale a shot. I took the recipe to my LHBS because I would rather give the locals my business. They didn't have the exact same ingredients, so they used what they had to get something similar. I am a new brewer so I don't know my butt from a hole in the ground. Looking for some input and thoughts on the ingredients I ended up buying.

8oz Breiss Carapils Malt Grains
3lbs Muntons Plain Extra Light DME
3.3lbs CBW Munich LME (Breiss)
1oz Cascade Hops (60 mins)
1oz Cascade Hops (2 mins)
Safeale US-05

One recommendation was to add 1lb of honey to the primary after 3 or 4 days and then lemon zest in the secondary. Not sure whether I want to do that or not. I imagine the honey will boost the ABV and maybe add some sweetness. I'm guessing the zest will add a spice note to it. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. :mug:

Make the liberty cream ale as it is in the box and add 1 oz of cascade at 10 minutes. It's a real nice kit and it is even better in the all grain kit.

Make the liberty cream ale as it is in the box and add 1 oz of cascade at 10 minutes. It's a real nice kit and it is even better in the all grain kit.

Thanks for the quick reply, I just reread my post and it was a little confusing. I didn't actually buy the liberty cream ale kit, I had my LHBS store put together a kit with ingredients they had on hand.

Latest posts

Back