Dud White Labs Yeast, Bock 833

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to have a huge 2 batch brewday, each 11 gallons. I bought and pitched WLP833 and 800. When opening the 833 I didn't hear the typical psssst sound. The 800 pssssst was fine. 800 took off and nothing from the 833. No bubbles, no white foam...nothing. Brew store guy said the pssst sound doesn't always occur. It always has for me. He also said white foam doesn't always occur, does for me.
The 833 starter doesn't have that typical bready scent either. I'm probably going to throw it out. I guess I could take an SG reading to see if fermentation has happened
Anyone have this happen? Has anyone had success with a non pssst vial of yeast?

Thoughts?

Haven't had an experience with non-psst yeast (not that I've paid attention every time), but I'd either take an SG reading or give the starter a taste to see if it's done anything.

How long have you been waiting? I had some WLP833 (rinsed, not out of a vial) that took about 12 hours to show convincing signs of activity, but that's about as long as I had to wait. In every case, there has been very clear evidence of activity (thick, foamy white head, tons of CO2 jumping out of solution and trying to overflow when I swirl it, etc).

I don't buy tubes very often, I have stocks of the yeast I like, and 833 is one of them. I find it is a bit slow to get going. I had planned to brew a lager the weekend before Xmas and my starter was ready. Didn't happen..... Brewed this past Sunday. The yeast had simply been sitting in the basement for 2 weeks at 50 F. It took nearly 3 days (last night!) before I saw any real activity in the carboy. I love the fullness and maltiness I get out of 833

Haven't had an experience with non-psst yeast (not that I've paid attention every time), but I'd either take an SG reading or give the starter a taste to see if it's done anything.

How long have you been waiting? I had some WLP833 (rinsed, not out of a vial) that took about 12 hours to show convincing signs of activity, but that's about as long as I had to wait. In every case, there has been very clear evidence of activity (thick, foamy white head, tons of CO2 jumping out of solution and trying to overflow when I swirl it, etc).

I never paid attention to the psst either. But it was noticeably missing. Even the feel from the twist top was different. I started it Monday. Still nothing last night(Wednesday). Tonight I am adding some starter to my Pils 800 to ramp it up for this wknds brew session. I'll test it's SG at that time as well as the 833s SG. They both used the same starter amount so should be close enough to see if any fermentation has happened. Thanks for replying

I don't buy tubes very often, I have stocks of the yeast I like, and 833 is one of them. I find it is a bit slow to get going. I had planned to brew a lager the weekend before Xmas and my starter was ready. Didn't happen..... Brewed this past Sunday. The yeast had simply been sitting in the basement for 2 weeks at 50 F. It took nearly 3 days (last night!) before I saw any real activity in the carboy. I love the fullness and maltiness I get out of 833

I also love the maltiness it produces. I use it for Bocks and Oktoberfest beers. Hmmm, you start your starter @ 50. I start mine @ 55-60, pitch @ 55-60 then allow it to drop to 50 then slowly drop it to 45-50F.

I think tonight I will take a SG reading and taste it. So you started it around 12-22 and just now pitching it? Wow! It just sat in a flask doing nothing? Did you have a bubble airlock on it? Covered with Al foil? Weren't you afraid of infection? Just curious. Has this happened to you before? That is really a slow start. Thanks for replying.

you can always hit the wort with o2 a few hrs after you pitch. I have been brewing lagers lately, and I will o2 right before pitch, and give it another shot of 02 within an 8 hr window of pitching, when all the yeast are still scrambling for o2 uptake. It has really reduced my lag time

I also love the maltiness it produces. I use it for Bocks and Oktoberfest beers. Hmmm, you start your starter @ 50. I start mine @ 55-60, pitch @ 55-60 then allow it to drop to 50 then slowly drop it to 45-50F.

I think tonight I will take a SG reading and taste it. So you started it around 12-22 and just now pitching it? Wow! It just sat in a flask doing nothing? Did you have a bubble airlock on it? Covered with Al foil? Weren't you afraid of infection? Just curious. Has this happened to you before? That is really a slow start. Thanks for replying.

I'm not fussy about my temps for my starters - depending on my schedule. If I get it started a bit earlier, I'll let it ferment cooler. Most of my starters, both ales and lagers are grown at room temp. This was the case for the recent 833. I had moved it down to the basement once it fermented out, and then it sat there the extra two weeks.

I do decant all of my starters. If I didn't, then I would be more concerned about what temps I grow my yeast at, and what resulting "beer" I was pitching into my fermentor

Latest posts

Back