In Search of Dormshine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sionolann3

Reaction score
Hi Folks!
I recently began (again, the first time didn't go so well) my second venture into the o so illustrious art of Dormshining. This time however I have taken pictures and given specifications as to make this an effective learning experience for me, and people who are interested in creating a little booze for cheap, or just love that feeling of fermentation in their lives.

I will be keeping you up to date on how it will go, and hopefully we will have a finished product in about a week. Here we go!

Btw, sorry about the sideways pictures, I am an amateur at the whole uploading pictures and editing them.

1. I used a 64oz. container of Old Orchard 100% apple juice. This stuff apparently has

attachment.php

attachment.php

Besides that, it has 27g of sugars, and all the other goodies like sodium and potassium and stuff.

2. I soaked all the stuff in a mixture of household bleach, no additives, and water for about 10 minutes. It was about 1 tbsp. per gallon of water, too much? I rinsed it off thoroughly.

attachment.php

3. After that I dried it, poured the yeast into the apple juice (Redstar Champagne Yeast), stirred it a bit, and then put on the stopper and waterlock. I was unable to take a gravity reading because my damn hydrometer broke. Second one that has done this so far...

attachment.php

4. I then set it in my dark cubby hole near the roof of my room. Around 70 degrees, and slid the lid shut on it.

attachment.php

5. And now I wait! From my last experiment the yeast really gets going about an hour after being introduced to the juice. Hopefully it will go well.

If you have any advice or comments, feel free to let me know what you think. Thanks!
MB

Just a warning - apfelwein smells like ass when fermenting. Your dorm (not just your room) will likely smell like it. Your better off just ordering a prehopped beer kit that only requires mixing with hot water.

I've actually never had a problem with scent before. I made a similar batch (didn't go well) of blueberry "wein" and it didn't stink, but it sure wasn't good hahahaha.
I have intentions on making some actual apfelwein, but I don't have the space here, that will have to wait until I have my own place :(

Well, I was going to pick on you for wanting to make cheap SH!7 hooch, but seeing as you are a Dr. Who fan, and especially since you are a fan of the Dragonlance books, I'm cutting you some slack.

Now you just have to work on trimming that "little bit of country" part off your music list and you will be ok. ;)

In all seriousness, your recipe is really just the same as the Apfelwein recipe. Cheap and easy to make and a legit beverage if done right. Just ask yourself if you are doing this for a tasty beverage, or to show how ghetto you really can be. Be truthful now, the Internet is watching.

In my day, the only 21+ year-olds living in the dorms were the religious zealots, the narcs, and the dweebs (as well as the dweeby religious zealot narcs).

Just sayin....:smack:

In my day, the only 21+ year-olds living in the dorms were the religious zealots, the narcs, and the dweebs (as well as the dweeby religious zealot narcs).

Just sayin....:smack:

I was 21 when I started college, and I lived in a dorm throughout my entire college career.

Well, I was going to pick on you for wanting to make cheap SH!7 hooch, but seeing as you are a Dr. Who fan, and especially since you are a fan of the Dragonlance books, I'm cutting you some slack.

Now you just have to work on trimming that "little bit of country" part off your music list and you will be ok. ;)

In all seriousness, your recipe is really just the same as the Apfelwein recipe. Cheap and easy to make and a legit beverage if done right. Just ask yourself if you are doing this for a tasty beverage, or to show how ghetto you really can be. Be truthful now, the Internet is watching.

Haha, yeah, I'll work on the country music thing. And the point of the Apfelwein is because I really do love fermenting things. I don't pride myself on being too particularly ghetto ( I had some neighbors make some stuff in a bucket, no airlock, cleaning/sanitizing, that is what I call ghetto). It is small scale and cheap to do as well. Definitely in my miserably poor budget.

Apfelwein is definitely cheap. I've made good stuff by pouring Walmart 100% juice onto my last Apfelweins yeast cake and adding a bunch of sugar. Went 4 generations on one pouch of yeast. Just kept dumping in the juice.

Hey Guys.
Stuff went well. It cleared up pretty well. Definitely not that sweet, but still good and very drinkable. It has even kept well in the fridge for about 2 days.
MB

Apflewein does dry out. add a splash of apple juice to it when drinking to sweeten it if you like. The champagne yeast might not cause as bad of a odor as montrachet during fermentation, not sure.

Back