Alabama vote.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on previous audio, there are three calendars prepared for today. The first is leftover bills from Thursday plus 4 or 5 more bills. I have not seen them posted online, though. I think the best place to look is here. SR106 is the calendar from Thursday. There was also an urge to let Waggoner know "if you didn't see a bill on the calendar that's important to you and we'll try to work it in."

They said that there were actually three calendars for today and that they are picking up where they left off the other day. I don't know where they left off.
It look like Sen. Holtzclaw was right, it's going be a wild ride.

A lot of BS resolutions and points of order going on. As far as I can tell they have not set the Calendar yet...

First calendar is up; it's SR108. They're roll call voting it now - it passed. The only bill on it is the immigration bill HB658. So, I think we'll have to wait on that before we know anything else.

Looks like Beason put a motion to table in. If it passes they would move on to other things I think. I get the impression they don't want to screw with the Imm. Law minefield anyway. Anyone got it on stream hear the verdict? Or were they just MoT'ing suggested amendments?

Heard the Governor signed the gourmet bottle bill in to law. Hey, that's a win for AL at least!

Still debating. Somebody is trying ammend to exempt churches. Author arguing against because of difficulty in defining churches. Could go on forever...

It is really sad to listen to this and see how much religion dominates Alabama politics..

It is really sad to listen to this and see how much religion dominates Alabama politics..

Not much better in parts of Texas, I am afraid. I like that they are willing/wanting to "mirror federal law" for protection of churches, but lets not mirror federal law when it comes to Home Brew (limits in particular.)

CGVT said:

What could religion possibly have to do with homebrewing unless they're Islamic? Jesus was a home vintner wasn't he?

I was away from my computer for a bit - sounds like someone asked for a reading of the immigration bill. Ugh. The bill is 84 pages long...

edit: currently on page 13. 12:11 PM

I like that they are willing/wanting to "mirror federal law" for protection of churches, but lets not mirror federal law when it comes to Home Brew (limits in particular.)

Seriously? I mean come on... Who could possibly drink 2 cases of beer a month! Clearly they shouldn't sell it in cases in the stores either... They're just too large. Besides, when we start getting bombarded with fire and brimstone for our evil ways...... Alcohol is flamable. (Although I hear according to Alvin Holmes Alacohol is both not flammable and certified as safe by the government...)

It's not passed yet. And there are apparently some folks willing to filibuster it to try to prevent it (and willing to let other bills die as a result).

Or...

They are using this as a time to try to hash some issues out so they can proceed.

Let's hope for the latter.

I was away from my computer for a bit - sounds like someone asked for a reading of the immigration bill. Ugh. The bill is 84 pages long...

edit: currently on page 13. 12:11 PM

Now on page 32 at 12:26 pm.

52 pages to go. Estimate that it finishes about 1pm. Then they'll probably break for lunch.

Do we know who the filibuster senators were/are? I sure as hell wouldn't want to vote for one of them.

When the recorded vote comes out that will give a good idea.

Hopefully they went ahead and took a lunch break during this desperate stalling tactic.

Opponents of the immigration bill are having the bill read at length to stall debate. I will be really surprised if the Homebrew bill ever make's it to the senate floor even if it is on the calendar.

Opponents of the immigration bill are having the bill read at length to stall debate. I will be really surprised if the Homebrew bill ever make's it to the senate floor even if it is on the calendar.

They have been working pretty late the last few sessions. If HB354 is close to the beginning of the calendar we should be OK.

They have been working pretty late the last few sessions. If HB354 is close to the beginning of the calendar we should be OK.

True...but it's pretty sorry that the senators have already voted 21-13 to cease debate on the bill and the opponents now are having the bill read at length as a last ditch effort to stall a vote on the bill.

This guy is seriously talking about how they have little time left, yet he is taking more time rambling about it......

EDIT:

Wow now time for personal conversations.....to delay.......

This is b.s. This democrap was talking about wasting two hours to delay a vote until 3:30 on the current bill.

Back