Smith Wicks Clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
I went to the beer store and asked for Roasted Barley unmalted. They gave me Flaked Barley Unmalted. I have already brewed the beer and was looking over the recipe. I believe I was supposed to use Roasted Barley Unmalted NOT Flaked. What are the taste differences? Below was my recipe.

12 Lbs marris otter
4 Lbs Vienna
12 oz Roasted barley unmalted (I used flaked barley unmalted)
7 oz caramel 120l

2 oz fuggle hops at 60 min
1 0z syrian goldings at 15 min.

I went to the beer store and asked for Roasted Barley unmalted. They gave me Flaked Barley Unmalted. I have already brewed the beer and was looking over the recipe. I believe I was supposed to use Roasted Barley Unmalted NOT Flaked. What are the taste differences? Below was my recipe.

12 Lbs marris otter
4 Lbs Vienna
12 oz Roasted barley unmalted (I used flaked barley unmalted)
7 oz caramel 120l

2 oz fuggle hops at 60 min
1 0z syrian goldings at 15 min.

Flaked barley and roasted barley are NOT the same thing at all. Roasted barley has a distinct roasty flavor.

Here's Briess' description of their roasted barley:
Roasted Barley
Lovibond 300
Flavor: Coffee, intense bitter, dry
Characteristics: Contributes color and rich, sharp flavor characteristic of Stouts and some Porters. Impacts foam color.

Flaked barley contributes to head retention and foam stability, but NOT to flavor like roasted barley does.

Any suggestions on fixing? I dont think there is much hope. Should I do a mini BIAB, and add to it..... Or just see how it turns out, and make another batch.

Any suggestions on fixing? I dont think there is much hope. Should I do a mini BIAB, and add to it..... Or just see how it turns out, and make another batch.

I think you'll get a drinkable beer out of this- just not the roastiness you were planning. I'd just keep this as is, and drink it. You've got an English style ale there, and I think it'll be good. It just won't be a Smithwick's clone.

I am starting to doubt the "home brew" store. I know for sure it is Flaked barley. Thier tag says unmalted. I was making the clone for someones wedding, so I will drink this one.... and try again.....

Does the recipe seem like a Smithwicks clone to you? Would you change anything?

Jamil gives this as a Smithwick's clone:

11.25# Marris Otter
4oz Crystal 40
4oz Crystal 120
4oz Roasted Barley
Mashed a 153F
Hop to 25 IBU with a single addition of East Kent Goldings at 60min. (About 1.25oz, adjust for AA%)

Ferment with WLP004 Irish Ale or Wyeast 1084

urbanmyth said:
Jamil gives this as a Smithwick's clone:

11.25# Marris Otter
4oz Crystal 40
4oz Crystal 120
4oz Roasted Barley
Mashed a 153F
Hop to 25 IBU with a single addition of East Kent Goldings at 60min. (About 1.25oz, adjust for AA%)

Ferment with WLP004 Irish Ale or Wyeast 1084

Assumed this is for a five gallon batch? I think I might dive into this one.

Assumed this is for a five gallon batch? I think I might dive into this one.

Either five or six...Jamil usually gives measures for six gallons so with trub loss you end up with five gallons when you keg of bottle. I would run the numbers through BeerSmith or HopVille to see. The OG for this recipe is 1.054.

Latest posts

Back