Turning my house pa into an ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
I have a really good amber/apa that is a staple at my house. I'm looking to make an ipa too but would like a similarity. Is it possible to just up the base grain and hops to appropriate levels to change this beer into an ipa?

I think it depends on how high of an OG you will be shooting for. You can stay close for a little bit by keeping the same OG/IBU ratio, but when you start getting above 1.080 then you may have to worry about it. Palmer has talked a bit about this in general for making high gravity brews, but I can't remember exactly what he said.

Recipe is as follows:

6# 2-Row
1# Munich
1.5# C20
1# C60
8oz Carapils
1oz Chocolate

1oz Willamete @60*
.5oz Cascade @15
.5oz Cascade @15

1oz Dry Hop Cascade @7days

I'm changing this soon as I feel it is a waste to use willametes instead of something similar with a higher AA% such as Columbus.

So if I up the Base Malt to 8lbs and changing the hopping as follows:

Columbus .75 @ 60

.5 oz Cascade @ 20
.5 oz Cascade @ 15
.5 oz Cascade @ 10
.5 oz Cascade @ 5
.5 oz Cascade @ FO

1oz Cascade Dry Hop for 7 Days

This fits the BJCP style guide for a American IPA and im still using the same specialty grains. Does this look ok?:drunk:

Yeah, it's your party, but I know I made a 1.065 IPA with 11% C60 and felt that was rather malty and drowned out the hops (used 3oz in last 15 minutes). It was candy-like. Good but not quite what I expected (so not great).

I really like the amber version but I didn't know how it would trasnfer. Would like 12oz and 8 oz of each respectively be better. Is the lighter color ok in this style. I just want it to be similar tasting and but i understand how the malty could be overwhelming.

Really it's all up to your tastebuds. I drank two IPAs last night, one with crystal and one without, and far preferred the non-crystal version. If you really like your amber, I suggest keeping the Crystal amounts the same and upping the base malt and hop schedule like you planned on doing. Maybe on the next batch you can mix it up and see what you like better :mug:

IMO, and it's just MO. Enhanced Pale Ale recipes do not make IPA's. I like Pale Ales a little sweeter. Similar to yours but not quite as much crystal. My IPA's have less crystal and more 2-row and some sugar. YMMV. Cheers!!!

IMO, and it's just MO. Enhanced Pale Ale recipes do not make IPA's. I like Pale Ales a little sweeter. Similar to yours but not quite as much crystal. My IPA's have less crystal and more 2-row and some sugar. YMMV. Cheers!!!

+1 to this...I think if you want to an IPA you should leave your amber alone and rework from the ground up.

Latest posts

Back