Banana Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Hi all!
My first attempt at mead (fairly basic, lots of honey) hasn't yet finished and is 2 - 3 weeks in and almost ready to be racked to it's second demijohn, but having searched the internet for all sorts of creations I felt I had to try and make something more difficult. So I chose to have a go at doing one with bananas!

I know a couple of people on here have already tried this and I've seen a number of recipes for both Banana based wines, beers and meads. But none of them seemed to ever come back with the final results or cover what they did in much depth. As such I thought I'd document what I did so anyone hoping to follow the banana mead path will at least be able to avoid my mistakes!

--- Day 1 -- 14/04/2011 ---

Ingredients:

Orange Blossom honey - 3lb
Bananas - ~5lb
Sun dried bananas - 1 packet
Bottled water - 3 litres
Yeast, Lalvin D-47 - 1 pack
Pectolase - 2 teaspoons(ish)
Nutrient/Energise (combined) - 2 and a bit teaspoons(ish)
Cinnamon - tiny amount

-----

Ok first up was the standard cleaning everything and attempting to steralise stuff, as I'm new too all this I'm not sure how well i did it, but I made a solution with campden tablets that I swished around the demijohn as well as letting all my spoons, bungs, funnel etc sit in it for a bit.

Next I started chopping bananas and putting them into a muslin bag.
Most of the bananas were ripe but a bit overly soft, still eatable though, a few were overripe and looked nasty and brown once opened. I chopped them up, as thin as I could without trying too hard, roughly half had the skins left on, and half with them off. I didn't freeze the bananas first, mostly because I only had this afternoon free and I wanted to get it done!
Most people seem to advise letting them all go overripe and then freeze them, but I didn't manage to do that.

chopped.png

Next up I warmed my honey in the sink before pouring it straight into the demijohn using my funnel. Nice and simple. Placed bung on top to stop nasties getting in.

I then bought 1.5 pints of bottled water up to a boil/simmer in a pan before moving my bag of bananas into it (carefully!). As there was so much banana in there, the water line came pretty close to the top, I kept an eye on it while letting it simmer for 20 minutes (ish) while i slowely stirred and mashed it, whien not stirring/mashing I placed a lid over to stop it drying out and/or letting out any niceness we might want. Once done I moved the bag over to a second pan and took it off the heat. After pouring back as much residue from the second pan as I could I then cooled the liquid and placed the funnel in the demijohn ready to add the fruity water.

boiled.png

At this point I actually added about an inch of banana water without the filter in the funnel, this was by accident, but maybe it will be a good thing, the rest of the juice however I put through the filter, and once all through, sqeezed what i could out of the bag.

Next I started adding water, pouring it over the bag sat in the funnel and kneeding it like bread to wash out as much banana as possible. And continued to do this untill the demijohn was over half fillled. At which point I bunged it up and gave it a shake for a few minutes to mix the honey and banana together.

notmixed.png

Then, 2 teaspoons of nutrient/energiser(mixed) and 2 teaspoons of pectolase went in (mixed into a cup of water, then poured in). Before continuing with the banana-bag/water combo untill fairly full. And added a tiny amount of cinnamon before giving it another shake. I'm not sure how much cinnamon I put in, I can only discribe it as 5 of the smalles pinches I could that would give a worthwhile amount.

Heated up some water and allowed to cool and added a tiny bit of nutrient/energiser to it before adding the packet of yeast. Left for 15 minutes (could just see small bubbles forming), before carefully stirring and adding to the demijohn.

I then topped up with water untill about 3/4 of an inch below the 5l line. I plan to top this up in a couple of days to reduce the air space, but I heard the addition of banana can cause a lot of foam so felt the extra space might be needed!

I then bunged it up, and carefully shook it again to airate it for 5 minutes, opening it to release any pressure each minute.

readytogo.png

Once done I placed a bung and airlock combo on it and placed it in a cupboard (on a plastic mat and in a washing up bowl, just in case! Realy don't want banana all over my carpet if it gets messy!)

---- 18/04/2011 ----

Main fast fermentation appears to have finished, bubbles have slowed to one every 3 seconds or so and about 2" of banana have dropped out of suspension.
Going to wait a while longer before racking though incase theres any more banana to drop and I don't want to stall the yeast yet.

sediment.png

---- 22/04/2011 ----

Bubbles had dropped to one every 30 seconds or so and layer of banana hasn't got any thicker so decided to rack to secondary.

Opened pack of sun-dried bananas and sprinkled them into the bottom of the new, cleaned, demijohn. They don't smell as nice as the fresh bananas I put in the primary, but I really want to taste banana in this so am sticking to the plan!

pre-rack.png

I then syphoned the mead from the primary using my newly arrived AutoSyphon (so much easier, definatly recommended!). There was obviously a lot of space left (even with the bananas) so I topped up with fresh bottled water.

I was unable to get an SG reading due to the amount of banana residue around the neck of the primary blocking my view! I wasn't so bothered by this as I don't have an OG to compare against anyway but from pearing down the neck it had clearly fermentated pretty completely as it sank low and I could make out that the yellow part was at least partly above water, so somewhere between 1.000 and 1.010.

---- 23/04/2011 ----

Today the bananas in the secondary have all floated up to the top and fermentation apears to have started up again. (though I guess it could be released gass form the new bananas...), it's now giving a bubble once every 5 seconds or so.

secondary.png

---- 07/05/2011 ----

Racked off from the last of the yeast/banana pulp and from underneath the floading banana chunks and topped up with fresh water. Putting the syphon in moved the bananas at the top slightly so it's actually less clear than it was but at least all the gunk is out of it now.

Can definatly smell the banana coming off it, but also getting the "hot" alcohol taste, though its not as bad at my plain mead (which has a similar taste still). Can still see why people said it would take a while to age!

---- 10/05/2011 ----

Placed in the fridge (~5 degrees c) to cold crash.

---- 13/05/2011 ----

Final racking from fridge on top of 1/2 tsp sorbate and 1 campden tablet disolved in a bit of water, topped up with fresh water to neck of the bottle again and put back in cupboard. Is now crystal clear.

---- 23/05/2011 ----

Racked on top of an extra 340g of orange blossom honey to introduce some more sweetness as it was fermented dry. Not sure if this will overpower the banana or not, hoping it will be ok!
Obviously adding honey displaces mead so took the extra sample and put it back in the almost empty honey jar, gave it a shake to disolve and am drinking it now.

When first poured i can taste the slightly nasty smell I keep getting (pretty sure now this is just because it is still fairly young), but after swilling it round the glass for a few seconds it goes away. Mostly tastes of honey, but with a nice banana after taste. Not sure how the honey addition compares to what is now in the carboy, but homefully with aging it will blend a bit more. Really looking forward to this now!

---- 24/05/2011 ----

Panicked that I had added too much so racked it off the honey this morning (topped up with water), about half had disolved.
It's now less clear so will leave it to clear again before attempting to bottle.

---- 8/06/2011 ----

Added some "Quick Clear", and put in fridge.

---- 14/06/2011 ----

Racked off the sediment, now buitifully clear again.

---- ----

Will continue to update and progress as it happens!

I'm still new to brewing, but unless you have a way to flash freeze, i'd never let bananas go anywhere near a freezer/fridge. But like I said, i don't know if it makes a difference for brewing, I know it does with say strawberries but something like bananas would get dominated I'd bet.

I followed Yooper's recipe and substituted honey for sugar, and followed SNA etc. Be prepared for at least 2 years before this stuff gets good, mine has been 7 months and is still harsh. The banana/honey flavour is only SLIGHTLY coming back now.

Edit: I'll upload my pics when I get home from work.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/my-banana-melomel-155755/

Mine is now going on 15 months old but has been sitting in a keg for a long time. I will hopefully get around to bottling it here in the next couple of months and plan to update then, but like it has been mentioned before expect a long time before it is good. That is a good bit of the reason that I have just forgotten mine for about a year now.

Cheers for the heads up guys! If it really ends up taking that long I'll just have to buy an extra demijohn and leave it at the back of the cupboard.
This morning it's now started fermenting, smells great so far :D (though I guess any smell out the top is flavour wasted?)

Have just racked over too secondary to get it off the banana/yeast layer. Smells lovely, tastes of alcohol (so much as expected at this stage realy). Also, added some pictures.

Updated - cold-crashed and backsweetened with more honey. Expect to bottle in ~ 2 weeks time. Really is improving all the time, just hope I havent overdone the back sweetening!

I would really give it more time then that before you bottle unless you absolutely have to. Bulk age for longer to get a more consistent wine bottle to bottle and also you will still have sediment for another couple months unless you use a clarifying agent imo.

Wow, so would I. My banana melomel is going on 8 months in the carboy, still tastes like rocket fuel.

Panicked this morning that it was too much honey so racked it back off what hassle yet mixed in (about half I think). Racked one of my others that needed sweetening onto the remainder. It's now no longer clear so will at least wait till it clears before bottling. I might order some clarifying agents as well, I think I'm going to need it for my traditional anyway!

Panicked this morning that it was too much honey so racked it back off what hassle yet mixed in (about half I think). Racked one of my others that needed sweetening onto the remainder. It's now no longer clear so will at least wait till it clears before bottling. I might order some clarifying agents as well, I think I'm going to need it for my traditional anyway!

I have never had a wine not clear with time. Be patient.

I would, but I have a freezer full of melons so one of my current batches has to go to bottles fairly soon or I would be able to get real food in there!

My cyser is still as merky as it started so that can't be bottled which leaves the banana which has at least show its capable of clearing or the traditional, which hasn't changed since it left primary... :(

I'd rather not go and buy more carboys, don't realy have the space / energy to manage 4 brews currently!

I think i'll see if I can get the traditional cleared in time so I can leave the banana a bit more.

Used some Quick Clear on it last week and moved it over to a new jar yesterday, now crystal clear again. I've not bottled it yet (bottled my traditional instead as managed to get that clear, so melons are now bubbling away nicely).

I guess the question now is, what are the advantages to giving it more time in bulk as apposed to aging in the bottle (other than possible sediment, which I'm not too worried about now and conictency between bottles)?

Bulk ageing is considered my many to be the better method, because there's less likely to be variation in taste of the finished product as bulk is less prone to temperature variations that might occur in the bottles.

Yes, I bulk age all of my meads.

Banana is one that I've thought about having a go at, but have yet to get round to it.

I've also moved back to making my batches in a 2 gallon bucket for the primary stage (unless I'm gonna put fruit/pulp etc into the secondary then it stays in the bucket). DJ's are fine, but it can be a bugger to remove fruit/pulp etc and it's much easier to rack from a bucket into a DJ to let the ferment finish (I tend to rack between 1.020 and 1.010).

Your first post was brilliantly illuminated with the pics, and the techniques well described.

For more DJ's, keep an eye on ebay. Yes you'll probably have to collect them, as lots don't want to charge shipping etc for something as fragile as glass. Also, if you read around here, and also at Gotmead, you'll notice lots of comment about FermaidK, DAP (di-ammonium phosphate) and GoFerm, when nutrients are discussed. Keep an eye on the £/$ exchange rate, and get it mail ordered when cheap. Not because it's necessarily better than something like tronozymol, etc, but because there's a lot more data published about them and their abilities. Plus, it makes life easier if you're following others recipes.

Oh and yes, I also tend to buy my yeast via mail order as well. There's a plenty of places in the UK where you can get the "usual suspects" (K1V, D47, EC-1118, RC-212, 71B etc etc), but if you want to try something different, it's almost definitely gonna have to be mail ordered from somewhere like Morewine........

While I'm more than happy to ferment in plastic (P.E.T. and even Poly carbonate), I only bulk age in glass (haven't managed to track down a "corney keg" yet, too try stainless steel).

Thanks! I'm not too worried about a bit of variation. What I am a little worried about though is that if I rock the DJ slightly it will let out a few bubbles through the air lock and then stop. I guess the movement is letting off some CO2 thats stuck in the liquid.
Is this a problem for botting or will this just equalise through/around the? Should I leave them upright once bottled?

Thanks! I'm not too worried about a bit of variation. What I am a little worried about though is that if I rock the DJ slightly it will let out a few bubbles through the air lock and then stop. I guess the movement is letting off some CO2 thats stuck in the liquid.
Is this a problem for botting or will this just equalise through/around the? Should I leave them upright once bottled?

There is still CO2 in suspension and it is normal. It will eventually leave the mead unless under pressure.

Depends on what you will be bottling the mead in.

Standard wine bottles with a choice of corks. I have both completely smooth, coated corks and some more natural looking ones with a more "patchy" look to them.

I drank what was left of my sample the other day, it's not ready by any means, and its really dry for my tastes (shouldn't have paniced on the back sweetening!) but I was able to drink it happily and the banana flavour/odour had started to return. I won't be cracking open a bottle for a while yet but I'm getting hopefull as to how it will turn out!

Opened my first battle of this last week. It was tasty and I got through the bottle, definitely drier than I would like but there is a touch of sweetness. The banana is there but only if you know your looking for it. It has a wonderful mouth feel, very smoothe, but is a bit dangerous having been fermented warm with d47, still has a bit if an alcohol kick to it, but it doesn't overpower it. Time to formate a plan for version 2!

Thanks for the update. As I was reading, I was going to ask for one. I'm going to start a Blueberry today and liked how you documented it.

Opened my first battle of this last week. It was tasty and I got through the bottle, definitely drier than I would like but there is a touch of sweetness. The banana is there but only if you know your looking for it. It has a wonderful mouth feel, very smoothe, but is a bit dangerous having been fermented warm with d47, still has a bit if an alcohol kick to it, but it doesn't overpower it. Time to formate a plan for version 2!
The alcohol kick, might actually be some fusels - I know it's easier to use D47 here as we don't generally get the temp swings they do in the States, but I try not to use it now - I generally go with K1V or D21 (the D21 does have to come from the States as there doesn't seem to be anyone who does it in home brew sized packs here) for traditionals. I might use 71B for anything with white/green fruit, or K1V and RC-212 for most brews with red/black fruit in them. I tend to have a pack or two of EC-1118 available just in case I mess up and need to do a restart - but if that's the case, then I just use it for topping up other brews......

I've got some stuff on my blog (linked in sig line) about the "accidental" or unintentional banana mead I've made, it's currently sitting in secondary with more fresh banana floating in it to try and restore some of the flavour that I would have lost by boiling the initial banana (skin and flesh - as per what I'd read up on before making the brew) and with the flavoured water being in primary. Whether I manage to actually get a half decent banana flavour, I don't know. I'll be back sweetening it in the near future once it comes off the fruit. Only then will I hit it with pectolase and maybe even some amylase, before I leave it to clear. Whether my blog posts are of any use or not, I don't know, but it's there if you want to read it......

Sounds like your banana brew might need a bit longer ageing to see if you get a bit more of the banana flavour back or not.

Yeah I heard when I started it that it would need at least a year of aging, its a year old now but could just need more. The hotness is definitely fusels, I have a fridge now for d47 brews but didn't back then, it was only my second ever brew. I use 1116 now if there's no fridge space.

Back