No Stab Lok 50/60A, 2 pole breakers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
I'm starting to get discouraged with my electric brew build. I can't find any 50 or 60 amp GFCI Stab Lok breakers (Federal Pioneer), and in fact I can't even find a reference to them. It seems that they don't exist. So I'm looking at the prospect of buying a regular 2 pole breaker and feeding a panel that has three or more other GFCI breakers. I can't see being able to do that for less than $300. This is on top of all the rest of the electrical equipment necessary for the build.

So am I stuck with a massively expensive electric service for the rig, or am I off base?

I've been looking up prices of new Stab Lok GFCI breakers and I now have to revise my estimate to about $800 JUST FOR THE FREAKIN' SERVICE!! That's not labor, burners, electronics or anything else. I think the new brew room may be coming to a dead halt.

I feel your pain. I changed my service to a 200 amp Siemens service panel. I had a 150 amp Federal Pacific panel with the stab lock breakers.

You might have to use 2 breakers and pull two service wires if you have positions open in your panel.

I JUST changed my panel to a brand new Federal Pioneer. About three months ago. I had no idea that I couldn't get the breakers I need now. As far as two or more breakers, that appears to be my only remaining option and accounts for my revised estimate of over $800. I suppose I could reduce that if I buy just one 30A breaker to feed both HLT and BK elements. I really wanted the option of keeping my sparge water hot while sparging and starting the boil. DAMMIT!!

any reason you can't just use a regular breaker to feed a hot tub gfci panel?

any reason you can't just use a regular breaker to feed a hot tub gfci panel?

I'm with kezgin. It looks like $200 US for a Stab Lok 50A breaker and a 50A GFCI load center. I don't think there's a cheaper option.

That's exactly what the new plan was to be, but the GFCI breakers were well over $200 each, so with the regular 50A breaker, 6 gauge cable, and load center that's where I got the $800 figure. If you guys know where I can get a breaker and load center for $200 I'll hoist one in your honor.

put in a sub panel it is really very easy.

That way you can use whatever breakers you have handy in your local electrical supply whether it's the borg or a specialty place.

Run the sub off a 100 amp breaker with #4 wire.

Don't bond the neutral to ground in the sub panel, make the ground and neutral separate back to the main panel.
If the sub box comes with a bonded neutral break that bond.

You panel sounds like it was installed by one of those guys who like to use weird equipment to force you to go back to them.

I know painters who paint with custom blended colors to make sure that you can't do any fix jobs yourself or hire any one else.
for example: When they paint a white ceiling they always use a certain amount of black and gold in the white paint. it's still white paint, but you'll never replicate it yourself and no other painter will either 'cause they don't know the amounts used. You gotta call the original painter or just re paint the whole thing.

Federal Pacific Stab Lok Circuit Breakers + GE 50 Amp GFI Spa Panel = under $100 (if you don't count taxes or shipping)

I just did a quick Google search on Stab Loks, too. You may be able to find them cheaper.

You missed the fact that I'm in Canada. Here's the same search done here:
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...atchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true

put in a sub panel it is really very easy.

That way you can use whatever breakers you have handy in your local electrical supply whether it's the borg or a specialty place.

Run the sub off a 100 amp breaker with #4 wire.

Don't bond the neutral to ground in the sub panel, make the ground and neutral separate back to the main panel.
If the sub box comes with a bonded neutral break that bond.

You panel sounds like it was installed by one of those guys who like to use weird equipment to force you to go back to them.

I know painters who paint with custom blended colors to make sure that you can't do any fix jobs yourself or hire any one else.
for example: When they paint a white ceiling they always use a certain amount of black and gold in the white paint. it's still white paint, but you'll never replicate it yourself and no other painter will either 'cause they don't know the amounts used. You gotta call the original painter or just re paint the whole thing.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I installed my own main panel a few months back. I do all my own electrical work. I would never bond the neutral to ground anywhere except in the main panel. My concern is not with installation, it's with cost alone.

Doing it for under $100 is not an option, but I may be able to do it for under $300 if I'm patient. I can pick up a breaker on eBay for about $50 and I may have to bond it to a Siemens panel because for some reason their GFCI breaker appear to be cheaper and more plentiful. I found one of these http://cgi.ebay.ca/60-AMP-GFCI-LOAD...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ab601167
on eBay but it doesn't indicate how many breakers it can accommodate.

Whoops. Sorry about that. HomeDepot.com won't ship to Canada? It has to come from HomeDepot.ca?

I just phoned them to ask, and no, they don't ship to Canada. I guess that makes sense because if they actually did ship here, then they couldn't have their physical store sell the same merchandise at 5X the price. There's a method to price gouging.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I installed my own main panel a few months back. I do all my own electrical work. I would never bond the neutral to ground anywhere except in the main panel. My concern is not with installation, it's with cost alone.

I see.
Would it not be cheaper to install a sub that uses less costly and more available breakers? You could cut back on the expensive wire by placing the sub near the main. That way you'd have a hundred amps to play with.

Of course that means you'd need a 100 amp breaker that fit the main.

I see.
Would it not be cheaper to install a sub that uses less costly and more available breakers? You could cut back on the expensive wire by placing the sub near the main. That way you'd have a hundred amps to play with.

Of course that means you'd need a 100 amp breaker that fit the main.

I'll probably install a Stab Lok 'Spa Buddy' which is a 50A sub panel. New it costs about $230 without shipping, taxes, or cabling but it comes with a standard 50A breaker for the main panel and a GFCI breaker for the sub. I just need to verify that I can install two 30A and one 10A breaker in the panel. I'd also like to get a good deal from eBay rather than paying full price. I have a bit of time because the brew room build only starts this weekend.

Okay, I have a solution to my problem. I phoned the electrical supplier I usually deal with and told him what I wanted. He asked, "What company are you with?" I told him that this was for a home project and then described what the project is. You'd be surprised how co-operative men can be when you tell them you're building an elaborate brewing rig.

So then he asks, "I understand this is for yourself, but where DO you work?" I told him, and since it's a major company well established in the electrical field he said, "Well, that will save you quite a bit!" I guess I get the company discount. No conflict of interest if I disclose that the parts are for personal use, right?

So the bill will be around $220 for a new 60A Stab Lok breaker that feeds a Square D spa panel with a 60A GFCI breaker. The panel apparently has capacity for two more two pole breakers. I'll need to buy about 20 feet or so of 6 gauge cable and conduit to hook it up. Also, since the panel can only accommodate two other two pole breakers, I'll have to feed my miscellaneous circuits off another single pole circuit. I already have an in-line GFCI for my March pump.

I'll be picking up the panel later this week.

Back