hotdog flavor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfurlly

Reaction score
posted this before, didnt really get any definitive responses so maybe a fresh look will help.

wheat beer.
beer is now 2 weeks old, trying to decide whether to bottle or not.
gravity is stable. 1.012
smell and taste is aweful, like hotdogs!

infected or worth bottling.
i ask because ive read wheats are best young, so i cant see letting this sit for 3 months helping. and im gonna need those bottles for 2 batches i have in primary as of yesterday.

ideas??

I don't know what causes it but I know exactly what flavor you are talking about...Blue Moon is the only beer I have found that consistently features it.

time can cure a lot...but i doubt it is going to remove an awful hot dog taste and smell. i'd commit the sin and toss it.

My friends call hefeweizen "weiner beer" because it tastes like hot dogs.
I've never made one for this reason.
But I imagine there is something in the grains...

I've drank a lot of Hefes and Wits (mostly Blue Moon) and never noticed a hot dog flavor. I know the BJCP guidelines mention a "ham" flavor that should not be present in a wit, so that may be what you're getting. I only eat beef hot dogs, so maybe that's why I dont make the association.

Anyways - I dont know what causes it either. Sorry.

mmmmm...hotdog

homer_simpson_drool.jpg

Just add mustard. it makes all hotdogs taste better.

If you could go into more detail about the brew process they might be able to pin point something. I am brewing my wheat beer tonight and i hope to god it doesnt taste like hotdogs.

You should secondary with relish and mustard.

+1 to this. Maybe a little onion and some sauerkraut too.

Tonedef: It's been a year or two since I had a Blue Moon, but I certainly don't remember anything like this. I think that's the kind of thing I would remember, although I do drink a lot, which kills a lot of brain cells... What was I talking about again?

I'm amazed that no one has said this yet, but wait it out! I know, you want your beer now. I know, most people will tell you that wheats are best young. Just a few days ago someone (Coastarine, I think) posted that they popped the top off a wheat that they'd aged for 6 months and that it tasted pretty much the same as the ones he drank young. Ultimately, it's your beer and you're going to do whatever you're going to do, but do you really want to pour out 5 gallons of beer and spend the rest of your life thinking about the beer that got away? Just let it age, test one every few weeks, and eventually you'll either have a tasty beer (sans hotdog) or you'll have learned that pork byproduct flavor doesn't mellow, and you can come back here and teach us all something new.

:mug:

I heard if you add Cumin with 5 min left in the boil, you may get a Hotdog flavor.

I do not have 1st hand information, but someone in my brewclub said he had that problem.

I still want to know more about your ingredients and process.

Maybe the SWMBO used your brew kettle to whip up some hotdogs right before you brewed? I can just picture myself sitting in front of my carboy with an empty beer thief in my hand, a look of disgust on my face, and a nasty hotdog flavor in my mouth. In walks my wife, munching happily on a hotdog, and says "what's wrong?"

I agree on listing the ingredients and details of the process, including chemicals used, temps, etc. I'm sure there is a very basic reason for the off-flavor.

Obviously waiting it out is an idea to which any of the senior members on here would subscribe. Typically many off flavors are cleaned up by those wonderful yeasties we so dearly love.

With that being said, I have had this issue with one of my wits. Was one of those "uhoh-I-drank-entirely-to-much-of-my-homebrew-while-brewing" Saturdays and I figured I had just made some glaring mistake. However upon further investigation I found a lot of info saying that certain types of coriander (specifically the sh*tty old ground kind) lends to ham and the dreaded hotdog water flavors. Also many of these yeast strains such as Am wheat and Wit etc lend not only sulpher-y type aromas but also a phenolic flavor that some describe as "soapy" (myself), medicinal, smoky, and also hammy/weinery.

So while it would definitely be helpful if you posted your recipe this little bit of info might help you out. Good luck and keep at it even if this one ends up snail food.

Sláinte

This beer should be sent to Fred Durst. Write "Hot Dog Flavored Water" on it. Who knows you could be the Jones Soda of the beer world.

I know this is an old post, but the hot-dog off flavor comes from yeast autolysing. This is essentially the yeast popping.The innards of the yeast are what give the "meaty" flavor. This can be due to old weak yeast, lack of proper oxygen from aeration, or rapid temperature changes. That is why many breweries cold store their beer. Make sure to not keep bottle beer in a warm place if it is conditioned.

This may be way out in left field but some people's taste buds are different. For example, I don't think Salsa is Salsa without Cilantro. But there is a percentage of the population that thinks Cilantro tastes like soap. You can google it!

Before tossing it, maybe have several other people taste it?

Just a thought.

Danno

This may be way out in left field but some people's taste buds are different. For example, I don't think Salsa is Salsa without Cilantro. But there is a percentage of the population that thinks Cilantro tastes like soap. You can google it!

Before tossing it, maybe have several other people taste it?

Just a thought.

Danno

Hmmmmm, almost 4 yrs later....I have a feeling that weiner beer is "long" gone. The question is, did other people taste the weiner as well? And if so, did they spit or swallow?? hahaha. :drunk:

Funny. A reputable local brewery has a double white that is very popular. Someone mentioned they hate it because it tastes like hot dog water. As soon as they mentioned that... I agreed. I DID enjoy it previously.

Now my favorite d!ck move is to ask others who ordered it their thoughts (generally positive). As soon as I mention hot dog water they immediately taste it and hate it.

Danno

Sometimes on the first few sips of an imperial stout or a porter, I get a "wet dog" taste. After about the third sip, the flavor is gone. I also get this taste when I eat left-over, reheated chicken (without fail). Most people think I am crazy, but to me the taste is very distinct.

Does anyone else get this? Does anyone know where this flavor comes from?

Back