Will my beer still age in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I have a Pale ale kegged now, and it is a little young(as people explained to me). It is still good, I like it, but I am told it can get better. My concern is it is kegged, the yeast cake is gone, so how can it continue to age. I mean I am drinking a glass or 2 a day so I assume any new sediment falling out is probably removed by me. Is it something I should not touch at all for a while, or should i have waited to keg it a little longer?

Aging will continue. Yeast have their role early on in the aging process but there are other things that occur long after the yeast have stopped their function.

Leave it sit if it is still green. It'll be fine.

I'm still new at kegging but from my experience both of my original kegs absolutely aged in the keg. I picked up a couple extra corny's specifically for aging so that when one keg went dry I'd have an aged one ready to go. I'm still working on the pipeline for this though ;).

EDIT:
I don't have the experience to say if it ages the same in a bottle or keg.

So beer ages the same in kegs as it does bottles?

From what most say (including most major sources) bulk aging is different than bottle aging. So they are reputedly different. Most of the long term stuff I age is done in bottles (usually goes away into the cellar for lengths of time exceeding a year) save Oktoberfest which is bulk lagered. Aging is mainly a function of time and temperature. Those are the dominant factors. The preference is to have colder temperatures and longer time rather than high temperatures for short time, although some styles the latter is more fitting. It all depends on what you are after.

See this is why I started brewing, this is very interesting, and really forces you to learn and play on your own. It isn't like following the directions on the side of the box of premixed brownies, there is a lot of room for your own touches and experiences to come into play. With that said - I haven't learned many if any of those "touches" but I assume I will in time.
Boy I love homebrewing!(is anyone else this excited or is it just my lack of sleep?)

From what most say (including most major sources) bulk aging is different than bottle aging. So they are reputedly different. Most of the long term stuff I age is done in bottles (usually goes away into the cellar for lengths of time exceeding a year) save Oktoberfest which is bulk lagered. Aging is mainly a function of time and temperature. Those are the dominant factors. The preference is to have colder temperatures and longer time rather than high temperatures for short time, although some styles the latter is more fitting. It all depends on what you are after.

I had as batch of beer that I did two things with: 1-6 pack was in the fridge "A", and 1 was left @ ~70F "B". After recently chilling "B" and tasting both after a 4 month aging, I much preferred "B" (both served at same temp). Only brewing for a year I don't have much experience to go on. :tank:

Oh, I would think that the multiplying of yeast in a bottle due to added sugars would have to have some influence on the aging process.

I age all of my beers in the keg. One note. I used to leave the CO2 hooked up at 12 PSI. That way it would be good to go when I move it from the "aging" fridge to the kegorator.

Moral of the story, I drank all of the beers very young. So now I still age, but CO2 must wait! (except for removing oxygen when I keg)

The most intriguing thing you'll find is that many recipes hit some magical 'golden week' when all of a sudden it seems to go from good to great in a very short time. Some continue to improve or change and then usually they hit some kind of wall where they just don't get better, or in some cases just turn. My DunkelWeizen does not age well at all and is in its prime around the 4 week mark.

The rule of thumb is usually the more complex the recipe or the higher the gravity, the longer it will need to age. Usually only the really substantial gravity beers (>7%) can go the distance. There are exceptions to the rule, but that is pretty much it. Recently, I have been focusing on filling back all of my bottle stock with long term aging in mind.

At a glass or two a day, it won't last long enough to worry about aging. But, if you can restrain yourself for a couple weeks, you won't be disappointed.

Does carbonating a beer have any negative effects upon aging? I just recently got a kegerator set up and I'm eager to get something drinkable as fast as possible. I started fermentation about a week ago, and I figure I can transfer to a secondary to lager for a few weeks relatively soon, but if I could dispense the (far from mature) beer soon without wasting future potential, I'd jump at the chance.

I'll second the negative co2 effects question. Other than self control, is there any reason not to age in the keg under pressure (cold for me) for a period of say 3 weeks? From the carbonation charts, 21 days seems to be the magic day for saturation. Would that be enough time (age) to wait for the first beer?

Aging beer in a keg is 100% ideal. The batch ages as a whole, there is zero light emissions, its totally sealed, it can be carbonated. Unless you are going for skunk beer, kegs are the way to go.

To the CO2 question, sure it may have some effect (I really don't know). But what I do know is that I have bottled beer that has aged fully carbonated just fine. For those that want a quick turn around time, start looking into Hefe's and low gravity Ales like a mild.

Does carbonating a beer have any negative effects upon aging? I just recently got a kegerator set up and I'm eager to get something drinkable as fast as possible. I started fermentation about a week ago, and I figure I can transfer to a secondary to lager for a few weeks relatively soon, but if I could dispense the (far from mature) beer soon without wasting future potential, I'd jump at the chance.

I'll second the negative co2 effects question. Other than self control, is there any reason not to age in the keg under pressure (cold for me) for a period of say 3 weeks? From the carbonation charts, 21 days seems to be the magic day for saturation. Would that be enough time (age) to wait for the first beer?

Think of this. When you age in a bottle, after 1-3 weeks is that not carbonated?
It would be the same as in a keg.
The "aging" after racking off yeast is going to be in terms of sediment dropping down but most importantly, different flavors will mellow and blend together causing smoother blend. This is why more complex recipe benefit most from aging. You'll probably notice a larger difference in change from a double Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout aging, than from a SMaSH brew Aging. Hops mellow as well.

Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, bottle or keg, pressures are present. But more importantly, doesn't the fat in the peanut butter affect head retention:confused:?

Think of this. When you age in a bottle, after 1-3 weeks is that not carbonated?
It would be the same as in a keg.
The "aging" after racking off yeast is going to be in terms of sediment dropping down but most importantly, different flavors will mellow and blend together causing smoother blend. This is why more complex recipe benefit most from aging. You'll probably notice a larger difference in change from a double Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout aging, than from a SMaSH brew Aging. Hops mellow as well.

More importantly, where do I get this chocolate peanut butter stout recipe?!

Let me ask another related question. What about temperature? When we bottle, we do 21 days at 70 degrees. If kegged, regardless of pressure, is there any advantage to aging at room temp vs fridge temps?

Let me ask another related question. What about temperature? When we bottle, we do 21 days at 70 degrees. If kegged, regardless of pressure, is there any advantage to aging at room temp vs fridge temps?

Now there's a good question...

Personally, if they're carbed, I prefer to keep them chilled (thinking about possible off taste with CO2 dropping out of suspension, plus rise in pressure, and have to waste more CO2 to re carb probably). Anyone have first hand knowlege/input?

Non carbed, I age at room temp. I typically secondary in kegs, and love the fact I can let them age with no light, no oxidation, etc (just like bottles).

Boy I love homebrewing!(is anyone else this excited or is it just my lack of sleep?)

I think its a combination of both - you are too tired, and no, we dont get this excited about homebrewing. :D

You sir have been bit by the same bug that I marvel over (even several brews in)

Homebrewing is tits as a hobby. This hobby rules!
-Me

So I brewing up a batch of Chocolate Imperial Stout..I was wondering if I go from the secondary..straight into my keg..how much pressure should I put on it to let it sit and age?? Also will it age in the keg..just as it would in the bottle..Because when beer is bottle it is brought up to full carbonation while it sits and ages..so thinking that way..should I fully carbonate..unhook it and let it sit??????

At a glass or two a day, it won't last long enough to worry about aging. But, if you can restrain yourself for a couple weeks, you won't be disappointed.

^^^ what david said.
The longer you give it (depending on the beer) the better it'll be.
of course there are situations where this isn't probable or wanted, EG. IPA.

So I brewing up a batch of Chocolate Imperial Stout..I was wondering if I go from the secondary..straight into my keg..how much pressure should I put on it to let it sit and age?? Also will it age in the keg..just as it would in the bottle..Because when beer is bottle it is brought up to full carbonation while it sits and ages..so thinking that way..should I fully carbonate..unhook it and let it sit??????

Same question here.. I have a bunch of empty kegs that I'd just like to fill up with different batches of brew and let sit until I'm ready to put in the keggerator.. but not sure on the process.

After fermentation is complete.. can you just put it in a keg, hit it with 30 psi for a second to set the seals.. burp it a bit to make sure the oxygen is out, then just put it in the basement for however long you want?

Chigundo...I spoke with a another local homebrewer and he stated that he would put about 2-3 psi on it..blurp the oxygen out and it is good to sit..But the only thing is..like I said before..if we let beer age in bottles..that are fully carbonated...should we fully carbonate our keg then store it..??? HELP!!!..lol

If you have the patience to let it sit 3-4 weeks to age then might as well kill two birds with one stone and add priming sugar, place in a warm place and let naturally carbonate like if it were in a bottle. You could still hit it with some CO2 initially to burp the O2 and ensure good seals. When it's done throw into the keggerator for a few days and then connect the CO2 and drink. You'd also save some CO2.

I'm not that patient but working on it. :mug:

Yea...not a bad idea..the only thing is that I am trying to avoid the yeast cake that priming sugar adds....

Hmm, I didn't really think about that aspect. I have heard from guys who naturally carbonate in kegs that the first glass is yeasty but after that the beer clears. One of my first kegs I cut abut 1/2"-3/4" off the dip tube to leave the sediment on the bottom. The other 2 kegs I left alone.

It worked but I found it an unnecessary step on future kegs. Time and patience were my problem, on future kegs (not ones with shortened dip tubes) once the yeast settle out and compacts the first pull was still a bit hazy but then cleared. Once I kicked that keg and cleaning it out I noticed a small trench around the dip tube had formed which allowed sediment free beer to be poured, after the first glass or two.

Next 10g batch I plan to let one kig carbonate naturally and force carb the other. If I remember will post back the results.

Yea. for sure..let me know..I am planning on bottling half and keggin half...going to try to force carbonate after a long secondary...

Will do.

Bottling some is a great idea. It's hard (for me) to let beer age in the keg for a long period of time, partly because I don't have a big pipeline and also it's just to convenient to pull the faucet handle. I haven't bottled many but a few, always a lot easier to let bottles sit, forget about, and let age.

I totally agree.Like I said this is my first kegging experience.. I am sure stout will not be last too long..So what do you think...if you keg it, carbonate it and place it in the kegerator...do you think it will age correctly..or do you think it would be better off not cooling it?

I totally agree.Like I said this is my first kegging experience.. I am sure stout will not be last too long..So what do you think...if you keg it, carbonate it and place it in the kegerator...do you think it will age correctly..or do you think it would be better off not cooling it?

Sorry I don't have solid answer for you but I'm sure somebody on HBT will have it.

After my next split 10g batch in which one I'll let carbonate naturally at room temp and the other force carbonate (starting with very cold beer). I'll be following the set and forget method so chances are both kegs will be end up being carbonated around the same time. Once this is done I'll post back.

There is something to keep in mind if you decide to force carbonate at room temp and that is it will require a higher amount of pressure applied and CO2 consumed than if you start out with cold beer to achieve whatever volume you are shooting for. Not a huge issue but CO2 is not cheap (at least where I live) so conserving it is important to me.

The link below will give you an idea.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Its been awhile since this thread had a post, but I was wondering about aging beer in a keg while NOT hooked up to CO2 or in the fridge... has anyone successfully done this? I have heard the argument that the keg will not stay airtight unless its under pressure, and if your pressurize it and then remove it from the CO2 hookup, then the beer will simply absorb the CO2 and the keg will no longer be sealed. Anyone have any input on this? :confused:

homebrewbeliever said:
Its been awhile since this thread had a post, but I was wondering about aging beer in a keg while NOT hooked up to CO2 or in the fridge... has anyone successfully done this?/QUOTE]

I have recently batch primed a brew, racked to keg and allowed it to condition for 2 weeks. After those two weeks the keg had plenty of pressure in it, and the beer did carb. In fact, too much pressure because I applied bottle batch priming amounts to the keg.

So I think the keg did seal fairly well, without any external co2. For my next batch I plan to condition in the keg, but then rack that beer to some growlers, such that the keg sediment is left behind. Chances for oxidation yes, but I think no different than picking up growler from draft at a brewpub.

I guess I am wondering more if I force carbed it with CO2 in the kegerator (say around 11 PSI at 40*F for 3 weeks), and then remove it from the kegerator and keep it around 60*F in a basement without any CO2 applied to it. Would the beer eventually absorb all of the CO2 like some people say, or would it stay sealed? I think it would stay sealed for months and months, but a few brewers on HBT have made me question this assumption...

This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Carbonate, remove from CO2 and age two months. Does it work?

I guess I am wondering more if I force carbed it with CO2 in the kegerator (say around 11 PSI at 40*F for 3 weeks), and then remove it from the kegerator and keep it around 60*F in a basement without any CO2 applied to it. Would the beer eventually absorb all of the CO2 like some people say, or would it stay sealed? I think it would stay sealed for months and months, but a few brewers on HBT have made me question this assumption...

I am not a beer expert by any stretch. But only X amount of CO2 can be dissolved in a given amount of liquid at a given temperature and pressure.

After 3 weeks at 11 psi and 40 deg that should have happened. When you move it to 60 deg some of the CO2 will come out of solution and increase the keg pressure until dissolved CO2 is at equilibrium for the given temperature and pressure.

So as long as the keg is not leaking CO2 it will be fine.

I am not a beer expert by any stretch. But only X amount of CO2 can be dissolved in a given amount of liquid at a given temperature and pressure.

After 3 weeks at 11 psi and 40 deg that should have happened. When you move it to 60 deg some of the CO2 will come out of solution and increase the keg pressure until dissolved CO2 is at equilibrium for the given temperature and pressure.

So as long as the keg is not leaking CO2 it will be fine.

Further, assuming no CO2 is lost, if you cool down to 40 deg and wait a bit, it should recarb back to what it was before you let it heat up. Thermodynamic equilibira are awesome things! :rockin:

Fantastic! That is exactly what I wanted to know! Now I feel comfortable about brewing some Belgians, as I can stick them in the basement to bulk age after having them on the CO2 for a few weeks.

Back