Hows this welder for the DIY garage mech.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to have one of those. I'll let the "real" welders in the crowd speak the truth, but I think you'd be happy with those specs for most anything you'd want to do.

I loved how my Lincoln Handy MIG ran on flux core wire.... Until I tried it with gas! For lots of things you dont need gas, but I wanted the cleanest welds for my autobody restoration. The difference is huge. That said, for general garage work, flux core is not abs. necessary. I can't speak for that welder, as I don't know their quality, but most people say Lincoln is good - Miller even better.

Flux core is great, but gas shielded is so much better. What I would insist on is that it is upgradeable to gas or you will have to buy another later.

For simple tasks welding with no gas is fine. But I guarantee if you ran that hobart with gas and without before buying you would get the gas. It makes for a much smoother weld, and if your just learning you will weld better faster. I used to have a small hobart that worked great for small projects. Go for it. Welding is simple

I have a small gas mig that I bought 20 years ago. I can't believe how useful the thing is, especially if you are onto cars. My friend just bought a small harbor freight mig that uses the flux wire. He used to borrow mine alot so he has experience with both, he definately likes the gas better. I think for a novice the gas is the way to go.

gas is a million times better than flux core. and, don't fool around with the clarke, buy the hobart, it's a much better machine. Lincoln, miller and hobart are pretty much the only decent welders made today.

buy the largest (highest amp) and highest duty cycle machine you can afford. That hobart (like many 120v welders) is a 20% duty cycle machine, max of 90 amps.

It's useful for light welding and repair, and also very portable & good because you can run it off of household current.

But if you have a dryer circuit, you can buy a 240 volt single phase machine which can have a much higher duty cycle (my machine is 100% duty cycle, FWIW) and much higher amps (200 or more)

The simple answer to your question is yes, those welders will work for what you are looking at. Of the two, I'd also go with the Hobart. Gas is nice but does not stop you from building a Brutus clone.

aside form the mig/tig flux-core/gas debate, I have a cheap mig welder that works well for simple stuff but I also have a oxy-acetylene brazing setup and for dealing with the small and difficult stuff (stainless, copper, and other brewing type things) it offers even more control and versatility than a good tig setup.

I bought a lincoln HD3200 from Home Depot for 459 + 10% off with a home depot credit account, it was down to a little over 400. Works great, came with everything but gas (optional). Of course I automatically had to have an auto darkening helmet :)

I'd shy away from the Hobart unit you mention. The single adjustment knob is a hindrance, not a help. There's no option to add gas. You're stuck with a cheap flux core welder, no matter what.

For another $200, you can have something like this, which will likely make you much happier in the end. Sure, you can build a Brutus 10 with the cheap Hobart machine, but it's extremely limiting in features and capability.

I recently got a welder to build a brewing system.

http://ramsond.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=114_118&products_id=142

I got one of these off ebay brand new for $430. I was worried about it being a no-name brand, but so far I've used both the TIG welder and the Plasma cutter and both work perfect. The only problem I had was with the included argon regulator leaking. I replaced that (again on ebay $30).

I'm new to welding, but my neighbor is a professional welder (i found out later when he came by and saw me learning on some scrap metal) and he's used it and says its just fine.

Take a look at http://store.cyberweld.com/vieq.html their prices are hard to beat. I must sat Indiana has the Miller 140 cheaper than cyberweld as they want $635. Check into the www.Millerwelds.com forum they have from home do it yourself to nuclear certified professional welders for your questions and answers. Many are on the road welders with top quality portable rigs. I got answers and factory instructions with specs for my Hypertherm plasma machine thru the Miller forum besides they are a great group of welders that will share ideas and help with tour welding problems.
Even the little Miller 140 is a great machine if used within it's limits, 24 gauge to 3/16" and the manufactures have these rating pushing the limits under ideal conditions. Miller "the power of blue" they say. It's great having variable wire speed control as well infinite voltage control vs those "El Cheapo's" with selector switching vs infinite control can make a big welding control difference. Even that Miller 140 at 63 amps is only 21 volts output, 18 volts at 90 amps and both at only 20% duty cycle. There must be a reason why a larger Miller like the 251 costing $2,300 vs those "El Cheapo's" made in Japan or China welders. Even the new Miller 30A spoolgun in now an inport. Try to get replacement parts or support thru your Home Club made in China for a price welder. Only Millers in my blood, been there done that and stopped on welder number 12 and 13 over the last 32 years looking and welding with different machines. Had Lincoln's, Hobart's and Miller's over the years. I'm very happy with the 1991 350 Miller Sychrowave, this is a real machine plus fully loaded vs the newer "friendly 350's with less operator controls, told made simple by Miller repair techs for the public". Miller Tig 350 plus the Miller 251 Millermatic Mig w/30A spoolgun. Quality and hoursepower (amps) costs money don't kid yourself on these inports from China with those cheap prices besides those low amperage welders, remember many are basic and you must add a gas bottle, regulator and flow gauge to complete your system.
"Welding is simple" someone replied above, got me beat been welding for over 40 years hats off to you must be one SOB of a welder. Staying certified at work and not welding every week you must be a better welder than i'll ever be. Congrats.
Now if that spinal stenosis back surgery were done I can build my brew system instead of limping with a cane on drugs in pain 24/7.
I have always been off my job working location talking and learning with other crafts like the Tig welders, heck I even bring my hood to work to watch these welders on stainless instead of doing my electrical work. Usually getting in trouble unless i'm running the job. Bottom line is to learn to weld properly without do it yourself bad habits they're hard to break and practice with a pro watching your welding. The rewards are great besides cost savings building and repairing projects like a brewing system, just have to get past the initial welding equipment costs first. Well the "WAR DEPARTMENT" AKA wife first.
Done ranting.

That's a great little machine, just hope she/he shopped around as MSRP is nuts and the couple hundred dollars can be saved for other needed welding items.
Let him get it "dialed in" before he builds your brew system. Best to get a BIG owner owned bottle vs leasing. Offer the welding wire and gas, think about helping to purchase a good chop or band saw if the both of ya don't have one. Help with purchasing your metal frame materials. People with welders hate cheap non paying or offering to pay "user" friends trust me.
What can be better, good friends, welders and bier?

Sounds like your friends SWMBO is a good woman who understands a mans needs like a welder she went along with the idea. What he should do is make little "do-dads" like plant stands, picnic table, BBQ side stand, garden planting/working table, wall art or some fancy mailbox stand. This keeps 'em happy as well yourself on you own projects be it repairs or a couple of brew rigs, he must have brew friends that will help pay for hit time and equipment? I got lucky as i'm in the hole a total of less than $300 for my Mig machine. For the Tig machine I did side jobs at home Tig welding on weekends for my company, this paid for the that machine plus my share of the copper that had to be removed on company time, my share alone was $6,740 cash. Glad I purchased when I did as now i'm disabled and can not work or afford these welders today. Grab a hood theywatch and learn how to properly weld or take classes, maybe find a welder under tour X-mas tree. Well in the garage at least, my Tig machine weighs 893# bare.

That's a great little machine, just hope she/he shopped around as MSRP is nuts and the couple hundred dollars can be saved for other needed welding items.
Let him get it "dialed in" before he builds your brew system. Best to get a BIG owner owned bottle vs leasing. Offer the welding wire and gas, think about helping to purchase a good chop or band saw if the both of ya don't have one. Help with purchasing your metal frame materials. People with welders hate cheap non paying or offering to pay "user" friends trust me.
What can be better, good friends, welders and bier?

We have been tinkering with things since Christmas, and yes, his SWMBO got a pretty good deal on it, according to his neighbor (who welds for a living). The welding cart is overkill, and he just flatout bought his own bottle. His neighbor (the one who welds) comes over and gives both of us actually tips on welding various things. The winter project (why he got the MIG) is to build his own Low Cost, based on a Caterham....awesome

Sounds like your friends SWMBO is a good woman who understands a mans needs like a welder she went along with the idea. What he should do is make little "do-dads" like plant stands, picnic table, BBQ side stand, garden planting/working table, wall art or some fancy mailbox stand. This keeps 'em happy as well yourself on you own projects be it repairs or a couple of brew rigs, he must have brew friends that will help pay for hit time and equipment? I got lucky as i'm in the hole a total of less than $300 for my Mig machine. For the Tig machine I did side jobs at home Tig welding on weekends for my company, this paid for the that machine plus my share of the copper that had to be removed on company time, my share alone was $6,740 cash. Glad I purchased when I did as now i'm disabled and can not work or afford these welders today. Grab a hood theywatch and learn how to properly weld or take classes, maybe find a welder under tour X-mas tree. Well in the garage at least, my Tig machine weighs 893# bare.

He's done some neat little things with it already...so many little things I can't think of anything 'cool' off the top of my head, besides re-working his grill a little bit

aside form the mig/tig flux-core/gas debate, I have a cheap mig welder that works well for simple stuff but I also have a oxy-acetylene brazing setup and for dealing with the small and difficult stuff (stainless, copper, and other brewing type things) it offers even more control and versatility than a good tig setup.

Wow I would of never known the progress of "oxy-acetylene brazing and dealing with the small and difficult stuff (stainless,copper and other brewing type things) it offers even more control and versatility than a good tig setup".

And all this time owning a high end Miller 350 Tig machine (3-385 amps) with background amperage, pulses per second, % on time, pre and post flow control, crater fill time not even counting the AC balance control for aluminum. Miller must of missed the market when they should of sold cheaper and better oxy-acetylene welding equipment like you posted above. Hats off to a better welder with different type and cheaper equipment. The shop has in the past Tigged a couple aluminum cans together then did it with "even more control" with oxy-acetylene. Good thing we drank the bier first avoiding all that bier leakage using the oxy-acetylene process.
Sorry boss your fly paper doesn't have the sticky stuff applied on this one.
Not to start a pissing battle just I have tried every process over the years including Cad welding different metals together.

Back