Pitching and star san foam question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRoboto

Reaction score
I know it says dont fear the foam but should I wait to pitch yeast until it subsides? Heres a pic of the foam on top of my first batch of beer..

IMG_0075.jpg

Pitch the yeast in. As long as you dumped out the Star San solution before the beer went in, you'll be fine. The foam won't do any harm. If anything, it's food for the yeast now.

I don't see anything inside my fermenters these days. Mostly due to using converted sanke kegs. Once you get past the desire/need to see what's going on inside the fermenter, you'll feel better and get even better beer (IME)... Give the batch the time it needs in primary before you bottle/keg it up. Don't rush it along. IF you want to start another batch before it's ready, get another primary.

Star San foam will just become yeast food so dont worry, that being said, that is a lot of foam so you may want to allow some more time letting the Carboy drain out some prior to racking.

That is probably not even star san foam. It looks like the foam that is created when I pour my wort into the fermenter. it's all good.

inhousebrew said:
I've heard this a lot and am not really doubting you or anyone else but is there any factual backing to this argument? What is in it that the yeast use?

It is my understanding that diluted star San is a source of free phosphorous which is an essential macro nutrient for yeast.

Latest posts

Back