Type of yeasts for a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_ajk

Reaction score
Im new to brewing yet. About 4 batches in. I was wondering what type of yeasts should be used with a porter. I bought the Brewers Best Robust Porter kit and it came with a nottingham yeast. I was just curious as to what different yeasts would do the the final product. Thanks for all the help!

For my porter, I use Wyeast 1028 (London Ale)

Only thing I would add is that the quality of my brew went up rather significantly when I switched from dry to liquid yeasts... ;o)

What is the difference in the final product though? Are there different flavors, more or less bitter, etc.? it would be neat to see if there was a big difference in the types of yeast used. Thanks for all the replies BTW! It really is nice having so many people willing to answer my questions. Thanks again!!

IMHO, I don't think yeast matters as much in a roasty, malty beer like a porter. After brewing nearly 50 batches over the past year, I've gotten to the point where I only use specialty yeast when the recipe really calls for special yeast. Hefe's. Belgians. High Gravs. But for most of my beers, nottingham and Safeale US-05 work just fine. Making a starter and having to order the packs is such a PITA that I just keep a stash of dry yeast around and only order liquid for specialty brews. For a porter, I'd use Nottingham or US-05. But if you really wanna use liquid, the London Ale works well.

I've done side-by-side batches of porter using Nottingham and London Ale yeast : No difference.

big_ajk said:
What is the difference in the final product though? Are there different flavors, more or less bitter, etc.? it would be neat to see if there was a big difference in the types of yeast used.

Yeast can make a HUGE difference in your beer, but generally with a porter, you should be using strains of yeast that don't impart much flavor.

For the three I posted, here are the differences (all fairly subtle):

Nottingham will finish fairly dry with little to no discernible yeast flavor or nose. It is very aggressive and will likely have the shortest fermentation period of the strains mentioned here. Because of its high activity, it can also create substantial heat during fermentation, so you'll want to keep the fermenter in a cool place - 60-65 degrees.

US-56 is an American ale yeast that ferments a bit less aggressively than Nottingham. It will still leave a very clean flavor profile and will likely not be quite as dry as a beer fermented with Nottingham.

S-04 is an English ale yeast that ferments fast and flocculates very well. It will likely produce a very clear beer relatively quickly. S-04 will finish sweetest of the strains I mentioned here and may produce a few esters, providing a very slight fruitiness that isn't necessarily objectionable. The warmer the ferment, the more pronounced the ester profile.

I too want to just say how much I appreciate you guys answering all my questions. I have been amazed by all you know and all the nuance to this work/play. I don't buy store bought beer anymore it pretty much sucks for the most part. There are a few good ones but most are pretty weak in allot of ways.
Plus it's just damn fun to make yur own. . . get R don.

gregg

Back