How clean should a kettle be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy2133

Reaction score
The bottom of my boil kettle and it is hazy. How important is it for the bottom to be shinny and new?

image-3182159600.jpg

You're going to do at least a 60 minute boil in that thing right? Nothing can live through that, don't worry about being super clean with your boil kettle. I wipe mine out with a paper towel and water after a brew day. Never had any problems.

I use some PBW & a Dobie brand scrubber to get my polished SS BK/MT shiny clean inside. Those sort of stains come out pretty easy the way I do it.
I mix 1.5oz of PBW in a gallon of water by the way. That strength works pretty good on many things I need to clean in the brewery.
I like to get it shiny clean to be sure what stained it from the previous batch doesn't contaminate the next brew.

All you really have to do is make sure that you get rid of any gross debris. Basically you want anything chunky or that you can feel or scrape off out of the BK. It doesnt have to be sanitized as the boil will do that for you. Shininess is optional.

mine is colored. no issues. occasionally I'll give it a soak in oxyclean. I think getting the gunk from the sides is more important.

I give my stainless kettles a good cleaning w/ BKF when they get dingy looking inside, but to think you need to shine the inside of the brew kettle for every batch is absurd IMHO...it's all boiled and there is nothing there to "contaminate" a batch, IMHO.

My aluminum kettles are quite seasoned inside and seem to work excellent.

Production breweries with heavy schedules are lucky if they get to CIP their brewhouse every other week, you've got nothing to worry about

Thanks all. I am trying to improve my brewing and I noticed the build up. Was not sure if mineral build up or whatever it is could be a problem.

As others have said, it's probably not going to hurt. Every couple of brews though, I give it a good PBW wash and scrub. I guess as it builds up I end up getting nervous of it as a place that it could scortch and leave a burnt flavor.

Latest posts

Back