You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When part of vacation planning includes asking yourself when any brews have to be bottled or moved to secondary.

Well yeah what's the point of going any where new without checking out a few brewery's?

+1 on the brewery tours, unless you're vacation plan is going deep into the wilderness, searching for the elusive wild hop citrus-bomb!

GrogNerd said:
yay, Georgia! way to stomp on that pesky Presumption of Innocence some dead white guys wrote about a couple hundred years ago

Yes only allowing 50 gals per year per household is amazing..... (Insert eye roll)

You can go into your LBHS shoot the perverbial poop with the owner and walk out not buying anything.. (But most the time you still end up with something)

Probably somebody's already covered it, but, this literally just happened:

You look at a picture of oatmeal cooking and think "man, that's a funny-lookin' mash."

Virginia allows up to the federal limit, but only allows "Any person who manufactures beer in accordance with this subdivision may remove from his residence an amount not to exceed fifteen gallons of such beer on any one occasion for (i) personal or family use"

so I guess a ½bbl would be over the limit
I think most states have similar laws, if not requiring it to be for immediate-family (or even personal) consumption or flat-out prohibiting it to be taken outside the home it's made in (which is actually surprisingly common).

However, these particular laws are generally seen as having very relaxed enforcement and even a tacit understanding that it's alright as long as it's obviously personal/not commercial.

At least beer pron is more acceptable when your ladyfriends walk in on you...

IME, that depends on which ladyfriends you ask. :D

You find a great deal on brew supplies while browsing craigslist, email the seller and then spend 60 minutes hitting REFRESH on your inbox.

you're happy when your friends drink all your beer!

Possibly the best one on here. Bravo! Also probably going to be the best one that will ever be thought of, in all honesty, as it sounds perfect and absolutely nails all the things that make a great entry. But it doesn't really hurt that the incredibly vast majority of them aren't exactly playing the game entirely correctly either, strictly speaking. ;)

(For example's sake, in case anybody wonders what the heck I'm talking about: "You look at your mashtun and..." - There! It's right there, in the very first words. If you personally have a mash tun to even look at, then yeah, you are probably a homebrewer, nothing further needed. The cleverness comes from coming up with a statement that best fits "You know you're a homebrewer when...," without making any explicit references TO home brewing. Sutepan's comment wouldn't sound like it has anything to do with homebrewing to a non-brewer (or even to many actual brewers, if said somewhere without an obvious homebrewing context), even if they somehow knew all the words and phrases of our vocabulary. Ultimately it's all in good fun though, and this isn't meant to be complaining; I'm merely expressing appreciation of one that I felt really hits the mark. But when it all comes down to it, just do whatever's fun for you!)

emjay said:
Possibly the best one on here. Bravo! Also probably going to be the best one that will ever be thought of, in all honesty, as it sounds perfect and absolutely nails all the things that make a great entry. But it doesn't really hurt that the incredibly vast majority of them aren't exactly playing the game entirely correctly either, strictly speaking. ;)

(For example's sake, in case anybody wonders what the heck I'm talking about: "You look at your mashtun and..." - There! It's right there, in the very first words. If you personally have a mash tun to even look at, then yeah, you are probably a homebrewer, nothing further needed. The cleverness comes from coming up with a statement that best fits "You know you're a homebrewer when...," without making any explicit references TO home brewing. Sutepan's comment wouldn't sound like it has anything to do with homebrewing to a non-brewer (or even to many actual brewers, if said somewhere without an obvious homebrewing context), even if they somehow knew all the words and phrases of our vocabulary. Ultimately it's all in good fun though, and this isn't meant to be complaining; I'm merely expressing appreciation of one that I felt really hits the mark. But when it all comes down to it, just do whatever's fun for you!)

...You don't really think this much about what you post it's just funny to you and you want to share with your hbt friends.

You post pictures of your yeast for no reason

image-4109186766.jpg

Every wifi enabled device you own has 3 or 4 hypothetical baskets in the checkouts of 3 or 4 online brew supply shops.

Your wife, when setting up the tablet you got for your daughter for Christmas, bookmarks HBT and John Palmer's How To Brew for you.

About your only motivation for doing your "to do" list of housework is so you can justify brewing later.....

When you are cooking and you run out of white sugar, so you use some priming sugar instead.

When someone starts a conversation about something similar, but yet not about beer ie. honey, yeast(for bread), "I saw a 'deer' the other day", bottle, cooler, "do you like your potatoes 'mashed'?" etc. and you get excited and think they are talking about beer until they look at you funny and shoot you down.......

when you see the Beck's Sapphire Super Bowl commercial and want to buy it just for the bottle.

^This!

Had somepeople over Sat night, made a packy run and as my buddy is perusing the BMC section I try to convince him to try it (since I will end up with the empties) dirty, I know, but worth it :D

It's better than the current 0 gallons per year!!!

Exactly. I'd be perfectly happy with 52gal/yr. Better than the potential for going to jail for a year or paying a $2k fine or both. If MS get legislation for the legalization of homebrewing and AL doesn't, my palm will go through my head. That said, the bill has pretty good support and should pass this year.

Back