Hops in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
I pitched in my starter a few days ago. After fermentation slowed down I decanted and refilled with 1200 ml of fresh wort again. I then decided I was gonna try and drink this starter, and tossed in a few pellets of kent holdings.
I looked this morning and the krausen is all green, with a nice film of hop trub on the yeast cake. Anyway to separate the yeast/hop matter? Will pitching the yeast into my beer with the hop matter be enough to affect the beer?

Hmm.... You are pretty much making a mini beer batch.
At this point I would suppose you want to rack it into a something else to clarify? Siphon it away from the hops. You would probably get a much smaller yeast harvest this way but I don't think you want to just dump it all. Probably wouldn't hurt but you will alter the beer the starter is going into if you toss more than the yeast into there.

Look up yeast washing. I think that's where you are now.

45_70sharps said:
Hmm.... You are pretty much making a mini beer batch.
At this point I would suppose you want to rack it into a something else to clarify? Siphon it away from the hops. You would probably get a much smaller yeast harvest this way but I don't think you want to just dump it all. Probably wouldn't hurt but you will alter the beer the starter is going into if you toss more than the yeast into there.

Look up yeast washing. I think that's where you are now.

I didnt want to clarify. I read about people drinking there starters and saying it tastes like unhopped flat beer (duh) so I thought I'd add a few hops.

It's still going to taste like unhopped flat beer. It's just going to smell like EKG hops. If you want the hops out of the liquid, then put it in the fridge for a couple of days. The hops will sink down onto the yeast cake. If you pitch the hopped yeast into your new beer it won't impact the beer at all. The hops will just settle into the trub.

JJL said:
It's still going to taste like unhopped flat beer. It's just going to smell like EKG hops. If you want the hops out of the liquid, then put it in the fridge for a couple of days. The hops will sink down onto the yeast cake. If you pitch the hopped yeast into your new beer it won't impact the beer at all. The hops will just settle into the trub.

Thanks!

The yeast is looking kind of strange. It was a vial of California Ale yeast, out of date in September. It's fermenting away but the yeast doesn't look like a "powder" as it settles. Smells fine but it's settling in clumps.

Here's a picture of the yeast clumped at the bottom, fermenting strong!

This clumping normal?

image-1254217812.jpg

Back