American IPA Bell's Two Hearted Ale Clone (close as they come)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gravity was 1.011 on day 18, down from 1.058. Sample tasted great - perhaps a wee bit less bitter than B2H if I was going to nitpick, but that may be due to not having dry hopped it yet. Used yeast from Bells Amber. Had to pierce the krausen with the thief in order to draw my sample. I'll dry hop on day 21 for 7 days then crash and keg. I'm also going to use some of the yeast slurry on an American Wheat I'm brewing Saturday. Thanks to the OP for a great recipe!

BS telling me I need two packs of US-05, is that true? Also, never used dry yeast, do I need a starter?

Use MrMalty for all your yeast pitching rate needs.
Mrmalty.com

Based on the OG of 1.064 you'll need 13 grams of dry yeast. So you'll be fine with (1) 11.5 gram packet of US-05. No starter needed, some people like to re-hydrate their dry yeast but I think that topic is split 50/50 with results being almost exactly the same.

I gotta brew this guy soon, my favorite IPA!!

Use MrMalty for all your yeast pitching rate needs.
Mrmalty.com

Based on the OG of 1.064 you'll need 13 grams of dry yeast. So you'll be fine with (1) 11.5 gram packet of US-05. No starter needed, some people like to re-hydrate their dry yeast but I think that topic is split 50/50 with results being almost exactly the same.

I gotta brew this guy soon, my favorite IPA!!

It started to rain today and I can't brew so I decided it was the perfect time to try to bottle harvest from 3 bottles of Bell's I have. Will give that a shot and if it fails will revert to the dry yeast.

So funny that you mentioned that because I wanted to try doing the same thing for the first time with the Two Hearted clone. Let us know how it goes.

So funny that you mentioned that because I wanted to try doing the same thing for the first time with the Two Hearted clone. Let us know how it goes.

Took me 3 days with about 300ml of wort and 3 bottles of 3HA but I have a 1/8" layer of yeast on the bottle of a 2,000mL flask. Will let it rest and step it up to 500mL in 2 days.

Just brewed this up yesterday. My gravity was 1.062, used rehydrated S-05 and I had activity in a few hours! My last 2 hop additions were a bit off (had to pick up my daughter) but should still be good. Sitting in the fermenter at 66 degrees. I read on hear that some people were ramping up the fermentation temps. When?

Thanks OP for the recipe. Can't wait to taste this one.

I pitched at 63 degrees and just let it rise naturally until it hit 68. Took about a day to get to 68 in my ferm chamber and that's where I kept it during active fermentation. It started to cool after fermentation slowed so I moved it to a warmer room and kept it at 66 - 67 until I dry hopped it. Kegged it yesterday and should be drinking it by the weekend.

Its tough waiting it out, isn't it? Your beer will get marginally better with an extended primary, but only you can decide if the wait is worth it.

I left mine in primary for 3 weeks, racked to secondary and dry hopped for 6 days and then cold crashed for 3 more before kegging. I started drinking it 5 days later - best beer I have have every brewed. Taste is spot on with B2H but not as sparkling clear. Perhaps more time in the keg will get the rest of the yeast to drop, but I really don't care if it does or not.

Has anyone ever tried the Dead Ringer IPA (Two Hearted clone) from Northern Brewer? If so, how did it compare to this recipe? I think I am going to try this extract kit from NB and do a full boil. For whatever reason the kit is economically more attractive that putting together all of the ingredients separately so.... I thought I ought to try it.

2 weeks primary, 1 week dry hopped in secondary then forced carbed in my keg.Hands down one of the smoothest beers I've ever brewed.

Thanks for the " go to IPA "
BTW BIAB

theveganbrewer said:
Which yeast?

I ended up using Nottingham I also made a starter the day before. I've read starters aren't needed when using dry yeast but no harm done.

So yea, great beer I rarely brew the same beer consecutively but I will with this one.

Sippin37 said:
Has anyone ever tried the Dead Ringer IPA (Two Hearted clone) from Northern Brewer? If so, how did it compare to this recipe? I think I am going to try this extract kit from NB and do a full boil. For whatever reason the kit is economically more attractive that putting together all of the ingredients separately so.... I thought I ought to try it.

I have. It's very close to Bell's. I will brew it again.

Awesome, I look forward to brewing it then. It's so close to this clone recipe anyways so I thought I could just save myself a few bucks. I'm sure there will be something I'll change the 2nd time brewing, but that is the fun of it, trying to figure out ways to improve your beer!

Just brewed this recipe today. My original gravity ended up being 1.060. I also used WLP001. We'll see how it goes. I do have 2 oz. of Centennial leaf to dry hop with. Looks great. Smells even better.

I've read through a bunch of these, but which of the two recipes, NB's Dead Ringer or this one is more accurate?

I did the side-by-side picture thing tonight.

dsc00012ew.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dsc00013by.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Ummm....my OG was 1.070. What might I have done wrong?

Also it looking extremely mucky in my primary....

Sorry edited it...primary not secondary--

I used the one from the start of the thread....

The actual gravity for this beer is 1.064
The FG is 1.010
Yeast is taken from a bottle of Bells Amber (their Pale Ale also works)

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

*mash at 150 F

1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

7% ABV

This beer is so damn close to the original. If you let it wait at least 2 months in the bottle/keg it'll clear up EXACTLY like the original. I had SWMBO mix the glasses up and I couldn't pick my clone out between two Two Hearted Glasses and one Clone. This is the best clone I've made and possibly the best IPA I've made. :mug:

Edit: Fixed yeast and gravity issues along with mash temp for a lower FG.

Most likely cause of overshooting your OG is related to your volume - you either boiled off more than you expected or you mis-measured how much wort went into the fermentor. Another possible cause is that your efficiency was better than expected.

Using harvested Bell's yeast may explain the "muckiness". When I use it it stays in suspension quite a while, and even cold crashing doesn't get my beer as clear as when I use other yeasts. The taste makes it all worth while though.

I ended up trying to brew this but didnt quit have enough centennial,ended up with a 1.054 gravity, i think i was accounting for my lack of hops so i made a smaller version a little 4.9%er. Didnt have vienna so i subbed 2 row toasted with some caramunich and carahell (it was my guess to sub the vienna and crystal 10 which i didnt have). I also used wlp005 washed slurry ended up 1.016. I also for some reason used my tap water,which i wont again although i did it once and it took a while for me to like the beer which is what happend with this beer also.I've never liked this until now bottled six weeks.Maybe something to do with the toasted malt/german crystal malts which im deciding i think i just dont like german crystal malts (or just caramunich) at least not in most beers.
Im glad i brewed this though,its a good beer now and i cant wait to get the right ingredients,to brew the real deal next time.

Alright, got this mashing as we speak, 1098 yeast is in the other room rattling away on the stir plate

The actual gravity for this beer is 1.064
The FG is 1.010
Yeast is taken from a bottle of Bells Amber (their Pale Ale also works)

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

*mash at 150 F

1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

7% ABV

This beer is so damn close to the original. If you let it wait at least 2 months in the bottle/keg it'll clear up EXACTLY like the original. I had SWMBO mix the glasses up and I couldn't pick my clone out between two Two Hearted Glasses and one Clone. This is the best clone I've made and possibly the best IPA I've made. :mug:

Edit: Fixed yeast and gravity issues along with mash temp for a lower FG.

well hot damn... my eff % jumped to a tad over 80... i'm sitting at pre boil OG 1.066... this may be a tad potent.... hahaha

Most likely cause of overshooting your OG is related to your volume - you either boiled off more than you expected

I made a 1.080 stout this wkend that was supposed to be a 1.060 stout. Went to the pool store during the boil, left it on max and boiled way too much. Nice thing is that you can add water back later and it works out fine.

(On topic, I've made this recipe and it is superbo. The centennial was a star... I don't think I'd make it without that; maybe cascade can work but you'll need twice as much).

Try summit,i think its a great subb i made my first ipa based very close to this and again with the partial mash i did i ende up a 5%er again, I used twice as much 20 and half as much vienna-just because thats what i had.I just drank my last one and it still had hop aroma over a year and very good flavoring/bittering.Tasted fantastic.1.048-1.008.RIP I could just imagine had i hopped this better and hit the target og.

well the final grav was at 1.072, so i'm rolling with that.
it will not be two hearted, but i did scale the bitterness up so it will hopefully somewhat match with a bit more alcohol of a bite.

I know some of you have tried this with Wyeast 1056 (American Ale). How did it turn out? I admit I did not go through all 55 pages and what I have gone through, I did not see any mention of 1056 result. Thanks.

Rivenin said:
well the final grav was at 1.072, so i'm rolling with that.
it will not be two hearted, but i did scale the bitterness up so it will hopefully somewhat match with a bit more alcohol of a bite.

I'm brewing this tomorrow with American Ale 2 wyeast.
My projection is to hit 1.072 to give me a 7% ABV, which is what Bells is, 7%.

I know some of you have tried this with Wyeast 1056 (American Ale). How did it turn out? I admit I did not go through all 55 pages and what I have gone through, I did not see any mention of 1056 result. Thanks.

Very curious of this too. This will probably be my next brew and am really curious which yeast is closest to the Bell's strain. Bell's doesn't distribute where I live so I can't propagate from bottles either.

Very curious of this too. This will probably be my next brew and am really curious which yeast is closest to the Bell's strain. Bell's doesn't distribute where I live so I can't propagate from bottles either.

It worked out great for me.. I didn't have a side by side test when I had it but I've had bell two hearted before and it was very close in taste.

It worked out great for me.. I didn't have a side by side test when I had it but I've had bell two hearted before and it was very close in taste.

From what it sounds like, the Bell's strain really makes this beer what it is. I will have a 1056 yeast cake I can harvest from an American Wheat that I can use

Brewed it over the weekend with 1056. Missed OG by couple of points. Time to get a mill I think. Fermentation was crazy yesterday. Had to setup the blow off tube. So far so good.

I brewed a gallon of this about 6 weeks ago with US-05 yeast. I just tried a bottle and I don't think I could pick it apart from the real stuff! I'll be brewing more this weekend.
IMG_1174.jpg

my first all grain BTW​

I brewed this a few months ago and just cracked a bottle along with a Two-Hearted. Mine came out very cloudy. Also, mine has a super bitter aftertaste. Like eating an Aspirin bitter. Also, has a slight "band-aid" aftertaste. It is almost perfect at first- its just the aftertaste that kills it. I'm thinking it fermented a little hot? I'm not really sure. I definitely did not rush it. It's so close!

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back