WLP 653 and dregs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tasq

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am attempting my first turbid mash this weekend for a lambic, and I have a few questions.

Will WLP 653 and several bottle dregs be enough? Should I build a starter with the 653?

Also, what is the best way to determine the amount of water needed. Normally I rely on beersmith for volumes when I batch sparge, but in the guide below he ended up with 9gal of preboil. I assume this is due to the amount of water needed to raise the mash temps.

I'm going to be loosely following oldsock's guide found here:
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/08/lambic-3-turbid-mash.html

Thanks for any input! :mug:

he started with 9gal because of the extend boil used for that lambic 330min aka 5.5hrs

and you can use beersmith like normal, just tell it you want a larger preboil volume

he started with 9gal because of the extend boil used for that lambic 330min aka 5.5hrs

and you can use beersmith like normal, just tell it you want a larger preboil volume

Gotcha! I didn't realize you were supposed to boil that long. What about the brett? Do I need a starter for the 653?

Thanks!

After some more reading I ended up pitching WLP001 with the Brett and several bottle dregs today. The mash went really well and I hit all my numbers. :mug:

Back