Am I getting better head than most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonacel

Reaction score
I sure hope the answer is a resounding yes! :p

I'm drinking my first batch (DFH 60 min. clone) which was bottled all in 22 oz. bombers. I can open a beer the first night, and have a glass. I have a pretty thick head on this beer with good lacing and a decent malt backbone for an IPA. I can stick the cap back on top of the bottle and put in the fridge and the next night pour out the rest of the beer and still get very solid head! It doesn't die right down and have next to no carbonation or anything. It's less carbed for sure, and the retention isn't like it was the first night, but it's still very respectable. I'd be very happy if it was the first pour. I don't know if this is a homebrew thing or I'm just getting great head. Man I love great head... :D Anyone else get this?

This is my favorite thread title ever :D

Are you recapping it with a capper, or just pushing the cap back on? If you are using a capper, then theoretically it would be like a growler from a tap-room, preserving some carbonation for later

How much priming sugar did you use when you bottled ?

Good question. I planned on a 5.5 gallon batch (4.25 oz of sugar for 2.4 volumes of carbonation) but I yielded slightly less than 5 gallons which should have called for 3.9 oz. I used the 4.25 oz by accident which may account for this, but the beer certainly doesn't seem too fizzy or over-carbonated at all.

This is my favorite thread title ever :D

Are you recapping it with a capper, or just pushing the cap back on? If you are using a capper, then theoretically it would be like a growler from a tap-room, preserving some carbonation for later

Nope - I just pry off the cap and pour the beer. When I'm done, I press the cap back on top of the bottle. It usually snaps back on (some tighter than others depending on how deformed the cap got from the opening) This certainly helps preserve the carbonation and flavor, although I've found with commercial beers I do this with my second day carbonation is usually much less.

Maybe the slightly increased priming sugar that was used (see above response) is what gets me over that hump even thought the beer initially isn't too fizzy / over-carbonated.

Back