First AG Complete!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big "A"

Reaction score
:mug:
Man that took a little longer than I thought.
13.75lbs Grain striked at 170 I think I was a little over my final temp was 155.
Mash for 60min but forgot to heat the mash out water so I hit 75min.
Batch sparged to 1.010 collected a total of 7gal. I have a wide pot so my evap is big!
Boiled down a bit faster than I thought I ended up with 5 gal in the fermenter at
1.066 worked out to 71%

My recirculating Ice water / Immersion chiller worked like a charm (first use)
19min to 75 degrees:ban:

I just did my first AG with my school's new fermentation club on Saturday, and was also a bit surprised at the time it took, even though I knew going in it would be a long time, especially since we brewed 25 gal! Never underestimate how long it takes to heat/chill

Congrats. Sounds like it was much smoother than my first AG.

Welcome to the AG club.

I most certainly will!
I am glad the first one went pretty smooth but then I always read and research stuff
sometimes to excess, LOL. The one thing I did want was some 5.2 buffer but the LHBS was out.

I am sure this brew will taste a bit different my PM recipe for this beer doesn't have as much rye malt.

Big "A" said:
I most certainly will!
I am glad the first one went pretty smooth but then I always read and research stuff
sometimes to excess, LOL. The one thing I did want was some 5.2 buffer but the LHBS was out.

I am sure this brew will taste a bit different my PM recipe for this beer doesn't have as much rye malt.

You got good efficiency especially for your virgin run--add that 5.2 buffer and I'd bet you get another 5% eff.

Congrats on the first one :mug:

Latest posts

Back