Heating Elements in coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I am looking into designing a new electric brewing system but I had a question about the elements. Can you still use a Plastic cooler for your MLT? Wouldn't the heat element burn through the plastic? ...is this a stupid question...

I am looking into designing a new electric brewing system but I had a question about the elements. Can you still use a Plastic cooler for your MLT? Wouldn't the heat element burn through the plastic? ...is this a stupid question...

Typically, you wouldn't put the element in the cooler/MLT, but in the HERMS/RIMS, and/or boil kettle.

The problem with having a stationary heating element in a cooler or plastic MLT would be the chance of burning / scorching the mash.

I use a heat stick which I can stir the mash with so the heat is more evenly distributed. I use this method if my temps are too low at the beginning of the mash. Just have to makes sure you do not touch the sides or bottom too long with it or the plastic will warp and melt.

My latest crazy idea is to make my copper chiller a HERMS & circulate mash water through it (submerged in heated water) and back into the cooler to try to step mash.

I know there are plenty of guys on this forum that use coolers for electric HLTs. I don't have any personal experience with it, but search for them and you'll find threads.

You really don't want to build/design any brew gear with a direct heat source built into a combustible container.

RIMS or HERMS is fine though, since the heat source is only heating wort or water seperated from the cooler.

If anything goes wrong, and the element heats in a dry, empty cooler, then you are looking at a potential fire hazard.

All that plastic and insulating foam would burn like crazy if it got hot enough to light off.

What about adding a shroud of some sort to keep it from scorching the wort that may help. Like a SS canister over the element. I think I will just upgrade the MLT the SS anyway just to be safe

For an HLT but probably not in the MLT. Don't heat it in a dry empty cooler. Just like you don't turn your heat stick on and lay it on the table. If you're forgetful or dumb it might be a bad idea.

And do some research to figure out how big (small) of an element you need to use fur the cooler.

I think the bigger fire hazard is plugging an element into old wiring that can't handle the load, heats up, and starts a house fire. And that is true even with a SS hlt/MLT.

I use two round coolers with my system. Rims tube for the mash tun, 1500w element in the hlt cooler. I've had the element in the hlt cooler for a little over a year. No issues. No scorching or melting. I like to heat up water over night so in the morning it only loses 10-15 degrees and you can get a head start on brew day.

If you run it dry the element will burn out quite fast and you will realize it. I highly doubt the cooler will combust instantaneously. But this is just my opinion, not tempted to test it. There are many things that could be dangerous in brewing if you are not careful.

I use two round coolers with my system. Rims tube for the mash tun, 1500w element in the hlt cooler. I've had the element in the hlt cooler for a little over a year. No issues. No scorching or melting. I like to heat up water over night so in the morning it only loses 10-15 degrees and you can get a head start on brew day.

If you run it dry the element will burn out quite fast and you will realize it. I highly doubt the cooler will combust instantaneously. But this is just my opinion, not tempted to test it. There are many things that could be dangerous in brewing if you are not careful.

You have 10 gallon coolers? Does the 1500w element plug into 220?

Yes, 10g round igloo coolers.

The 1500w is 120v and plugs into my panel. 220v would be better for me but I already had the element.

Yes, 10g round igloo coolers.

The 1500w is 120v and plugs into my panel. 220v would be better for me but I already had the element.

So obviously you protect the outside somehow of not coming in contact with any liquids and make sure the element will not touch the sides of the cooler. Is this process easier than it sounds? Do you find the element burns the grains or wort at all causing scorching?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/electric-cooler-hlt-154332/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/electric-element-cooler-hlt-465583/

The above is an electric cooler HLT. You could add an element to a cooler mash tun, I would plan to not fire the element in a MT. You could perhaps add a little heat for a minor adjustment if it was a thin mash and constantly stirring the mash adjacent to the element.

Typically one would try not to need to add heat during a mash with a cooler MLT, that's the reason for using a cooler.

So obviously you protect the outside somehow of not coming in contact with any liquids and make sure the element will not touch the sides of the cooler. Is this process easier than it sounds? Do you find the element burns the grains or wort at all causing scorching?

Not currently. I just have it open. When you drill the hole in the outer piece of plastic make it larger than the 1" for the element. Say 2" approximately. Then drill the inner 1" or the diameter of the element. The back side of the element will be counter sunk in by around 1-2". I left it this way so I can pull the wires easily after use. I bought a box so I can hide the back inside and just ground the box, but I haven't done that yet.

You shouldn't be placing an element in the mash tun. Mine is in my hlt only. The mash tun is a RIMS powered system. Search for RIMS to see what I mean.

The process is very easy. Takes 15 minutes and some tools. Just be careful when drilling. Hole saws are best to use here. Ground your element.

Back