Any thoughts to how this might turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draught_Punk

Reaction score
So, a buddy was over and we were getting a bit tipsy this weekend. The conversation steered toward brewing my own beer. well, it naturally progressed from there that I walked him through a brew. The problem is I winged it and I have no idea what I've done. Luckily I was wise enough to write down most of what I did (scribbled more like it). It looks like i threw a whole bunch of stuff together with no rhyme or reason. I'm hoping somebody might offer some advice as to whether it can be salvaged. So here's what was written in my notebook in the morning next to two Mr. Beer barrels with a pretty descent krausen going on...

Ingredients 1 can Mr. Beer Oktoberfest Lager HME
2 tubs Briess CBW Munich Pure Malt Extract
1 can Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale HME
1 1lb pouch Briess Sparkling Amber DME
1 can Muntons Light LME
1 pouch Brewers Best crushed Caramel Malt Grains
1 package Hopunion German Tettnang Hop Pellets
1 package Hopunion German Hallertau Hop Pellets
1 packet Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

1) Raise temperature of1 gallon of water to between 150-165*F.

2) Steep Malt Grains for 20 minutes then remove.

3) Bring to boil.

4) Stir in all Malt Extracts.

5) Bring back to rolling boil.

6) Add Tettnang hops and boil for 45 minutes.

7) Add Hallertau hops and boil for 20 minutes.

8) Flash cool to 60*F.

9) Split between kegs and fill with water to 8.5qt each and stir and split yeast between them.

**OG = 1.085**

End

So any thoughts? Evidence appears I did everything stated. All the cans and tubs of extract are empty and there's a used grain bag in the trash, full of soggy grains. I think I messed up adding the DME though. There's some sticky chunks of it in the trash too. I can't tell how much of it though.

So should I just dump it, or keep it going and see what happens? OG is super high and I don't even know what to think of that. I typically only make kit ales and occasionally steep some grains from scratch from a tried and true recipe. Any help is appreciated!

P.S. - How long should I ferment it if I do keep it going?

Draught_Punk said:
So, a buddy was over and we were getting a bit tipsy this weekend. The conversation steered toward brewing my own beer. well, it naturally progressed from there that I walked him through a brew. The problem is I winged it and I have no idea what I've done. Luckily I was wise enough to write down most of what I did (scribbled more like it). It looks like i threw a whole bunch of stuff together with no rhyme or reason. I'm hoping somebody might offer some advice as to whether it can be salvaged. So here's what was written in my notebook in the morning next to two Mr. Beer barrels with a pretty descent krausen going on... Ingredients 1 can Mr. Beer Oktoberfest Lager HME 2 tubs Briess CBW Munich Pure Malt Extract 1 can Mr. Beer West Coast Pale Ale HME 1 1lb pouch Briess Sparkling Amber DME 1 can Muntons Light LME 1 pouch Brewers Best crushed Caramel Malt Grains 1 package Hopunion German Tettnang Hop Pellets 1 package Hopunion German Hallertau Hop Pellets 1 packet Safale S-04 Ale Yeast 1) Raise temperature of1 gallon of water to between 150-165*F. 2) Steep Malt Grains for 20 minutes then remove. 3) Bring to boil. 4) Stir in all Malt Extracts. 5) Bring back to rolling boil. 6) Add Tettnang hops and boil for 45 minutes. 7) Add Hallertau hops and boil for 20 minutes. 8) Flash cool to 60*F. 9) Split between kegs and fill with water to 8.5qt each and stir and split yeast between them. **OG = 1.085** End So any thoughts? Evidence appears I did everything stated. All the cans and tubs of extract are empty and there's a used grain bag in the trash, full of soggy grains. I think I messed up adding the DME though. There's some sticky chunks of it in the trash too. I can't tell how much of it though. So should I just dump it, or keep it going and see what happens? OG is super high and I don't even know what to think of that. I typically only make kit ales and occasionally steep some grains from scratch from a tried and true recipe. Any help is appreciated! P.S. - How long should I ferment it if I do keep it going?

Dude...let it ride.

uatuba said:
Dude...let it ride.

So what do you think? 3 weeks? 2 weeks, then secondary for another 2-3 weeks? I'm completely inexperienced with high O.G. brews. Well, other than drinking them, that is...

The bigger issue (than your ingredients) is likely your process. If you cannot even remember brewing, and just sort of "winged it" - seems likely that you have a good chance of not done a very good job sanitizing stuff etc. Also - what temp. are you fermenting at? Did you cool the wort?

Ingredients seem to indicate you will have an underhopped-imperial-mocktoberfest ale. Process issues might give you a cidery/sour/vinegar alcohol bomb.

Either way - you just never know until you let it ride out and see what happens with it. Probably not a real good strategy - but, hey - I've brewed drunk before too:) Let it do its thing for a 2-3 weeks, transfer to a secondary or bottle and let it sit for a month or two and then give it a try to see if it seems worth hanging onto at that point or not.

Braufessor said:
The bigger issue (than your ingredients) is likely your process. If you cannot even remember brewing, and just sort of "winged it" - seems likely that you have a good chance of not done a very good job sanitizing stuff etc. Also - what temp. are you fermenting at? Did you cool the wort? Ingredients seem to indicate you will have an underhopped-imperial-mocktoberfest ale. Process issues might give you a cidery/sour/vinegar alcohol bomb. Either way - you just never know until you let it ride out and see what happens with it. Probably not a real good strategy - but, hey - I've brewed drunk before too:) Let it do its thing for a 2-3 weeks, transfer to a secondary or bottle and let it sit for a month or two and then give it a try to see if it seems worth hanging onto at that point or not.

My wort chiller was dirty so I'm positive I cooled it. And the bucket I use for sanitizing is full with solution still. I can only hope I mixed it right. I doubt I'd mess that up as I do that fairly often outside of brewing. I think I'll take your advice, both options. Since I have two barrels going (both of which have a pretty thick krausen already), I'll bottle one of them in about three weeks and move the other to a secondary for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky. I'd hate to have wasted all that extract. Though, it wouldn't be the worst I've done while drunk!

Braufessor said:
The bigger issue (than your ingredients) is likely your process. If you cannot even remember brewing, and just sort of "winged it" - seems likely that you have a good chance of not done a very good job sanitizing stuff etc. Also - what temp. are you fermenting at? Did you cool the wort? Ingredients seem to indicate you will have an underhopped-imperial-mocktoberfest ale. Process issues might give you a cidery/sour/vinegar alcohol bomb. Either way - you just never know until you let it ride out and see what happens with it. Probably not a real good strategy - but, hey - I've brewed drunk before too:) Let it do its thing for a 2-3 weeks, transfer to a secondary or bottle and let it sit for a month or two and then give it a try to see if it seems worth hanging onto at that point or not.

Under hopped? I saw two packs (ounces) of hops along with two cans of hopped malt extract.

Draught_Punk said:
So what do you think? 3 weeks? 2 weeks, then secondary for another 2-3 weeks? I'm completely inexperienced with high O.G. brews. Well, other than drinking them, that is...

I'd go 4 weeks in primary, then two more in secondary. This yeast, from what I've read, can tolerate a high ABV (8.5 or so) and will ferment available sugars if it has enough time.

Well, based on 1.085 OG and tettnang boiling for 45mins - it sounds like it'll be underbittered. I have no idea what tubs or cans of this and that are, but it sounds like it might be somewhat drinkable. No clue what sort of beer that will be, though.

Just let it ferment for 2 or 3 weeks, and hopefully it'll come out o.k.. :confused:

eltorrente said:
Well, based on 1.085 OG and tettnang boiling for 45mins - it sounds like it'll be underbittered. I have no idea what tubs or cans of this and that are, but it sounds like it might be somewhat drinkable. No clue what sort of beer that will be, though. Just let it ferment for 2 or 3 weeks, and hopefully it'll come out o.k.. :confused:

HME = Hopped Malt Extract
Plus he boiled the hme for 45 minutes, which means all the hops in those cans are now buttering hops. I'm not sure how many ibus that is though. I would think it would be bitter enough, maybe even a little too bitter.

Frankenbeer, the drink of the brave and the foolish. I, sir, admire your gumption. Hope it turns out well. Hell, if you want it reviewed by an impartial 3-rd party, I'd love to try it.

Latest posts

Back