Used wrong malt. Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangecross

Reaction score
This is my third batch of beer and I wanted to try an IPA. I found a extract recipe from my homebrew shop. It called for 9lbs of pale malt extract. I grabbed a 6lbs tub and a 3lbs tub. But when I started brewing I noticed the 6lbs tub was the correct pale malt but I grabbed the wrong 3lbs tub, it was munich malt intead of the pale malt. I went a head with the recipe as written. Also my orginial gravity was higher than expected at 1.071 instead of 1.067.
How do you think the taste will change being 1/3 munich and 2/3 pale malt?

This is my third batch of beer and I wanted to try an IPA. I found a extract recipe from my homebrew shop. It called for 9lbs of pale malt extract. I grabbed a 6lbs tub and a 3lbs tub. But when I started brewing I noticed the 6lbs tub was the correct pale malt but I grabbed the wrong 3lbs tub, it was munich malt intead of the pale malt. I went a head with the recipe as written. Also my orginial gravity was higher than expected at 1.071 instead of 1.067.
How do you think the taste will change being 1/3 munich and 2/3 pale malt?

First off, it will be fine. It may be a bit darker but it will still be very good. Different but good. Don't worry a bit, it'll be fine~

My last IPA has both Munich and melanoidin in it, but I haven't had a chance to try the finished product yet.

Ditto.

I use Munich in most of my pales/IPA's and American Ambers. It will add a bit of sweetness/maltiness, but if you are using a decent hop bill, it will more than balance it.

I wouldn't panic. :mug:

RDWHAHB

Latest posts

Back