Questions about sours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
This weekend I plan on jumping into the sour game. I've got 2 packs or Roeselare and 1 vial of WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix. I usually brew two 5.5 gallon batches per brew day, or ocassionally a single 11 gallon batch. I'd like to get all 3 yeasts/bugs pitched and have some thoughts... any advice, critiques, or whatever is very much appreciated!

At this point, I'm already set on pitching just the yeasts/bugs alone without making starters. Everywhere I've read says this is the way to go for a more balanced finished beer. So my first inclination at this point is to brew 5.5 gallons of an Oud Bruin recipe, split it, pitch Roeselare into half and WLP655 into the other; then brew 5.5 gallons of a Flanders Red recipe and pitch Roeselare into it. OR...

I could swap the styles, but I tend to prefer Flanders Red over Oud Bruin. OR...

I could brew three separate 2.75 gallon batches, pitching each yeast/bug culture into a different style of beer (Flanders, Oud Bruin, Sour Blonde). OR...

I could pitch Roeselare into one 5.5 gal batch and WLP655 into another, saving the other Roeselare for a different 5.5 gal batch.

One of the things I was interested in is comparing the difference between Roeselare and WLP655, hence doing the split batch. My plan once I finally bottle these beers (9-12 months) is to rack more wort right on the cakes.

I guess another question I have is, is it kosher to use buckets to ferment and age sour beers in?

What would you do?

Thanks and cheers!

I would say brew two of the same to get your comparrison going and a sour blonde with whats left.

I would say brew two of the same to get your comparrison going and a sour blonde with whats left.

Thanks, I'm actually thinking now that I'll just throw together a single 11 gallon FR batch, split it into 2 carboys, then pitch Roeselare into one and WLP655 into the other. I'll then brew a 5.5 gallon Oud Bruin on my next brew day. Maybe I'll get around to the Sour Blonde next year, when these 3 are ready. Cheers!

Buckets are preferable for aging sours. The O2 permiability of the buckets contribute to the sherry flavors that are expected of those styles.

mytommygundont said:
Buckets are preferable for aging sours. The O2 permiability of the buckets contribute to the sherry flavors that are expected of those styles.

Hey, thanks! That's good to know. I think I'll change my brew day plans now...

Back