Imperial Red question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadRabbit

Reaction score
Hey guys. So stoked about this forum! I'm learning tons!
Here's my question: I brewed a partial grain batch of an Imperial Red a few weeks ago. After four days of fermentation, the process slowed down and I began to take readings. I tasted the fermented wort on the first day and it was great! But everyday after that the balance and flavor began to slowly fall off. Was there something I did wrong? Will it come back?

At this point there's nothing you can do but wait. You should also not take samples constantly, its not necessary and can actually do harm to the brew. It will also never taste like it did, right at the end of the boil. But then again, once its carbonated it'll taste wayyy better than any sample you sip on. I'm not sure how strong your gravity was, but if you didn't make a starter for the yeast you might get some off flavors associated with underpitching assuming that this is a real imperial. Either way, it'll still taste good and you'll only get better an better at this as you keep brewing

Yeah you're right. I started with an OG of 1.065 and it only dropped to 1.030.

I'll try a yeast starter next batch and maybe leave the damn thing alone this time.

If I do leave it alone when should I be doing gravity checks to see if she's done fermenting?

Two to three weeks in, until you're comfortable with your system I wouldn't push it any sooner. 1.065 is actually not that heavy, it might be heavier if your hydrometer isn't calibrated yet, but it definitely appears that you got a stuck fermentation. Even with underpitching I've gotten brews to ferment more than that. They usually pick up a lot of fruity an spicy esters. But they usually finish out.

Did you aerate it before pitching? If you really did start this 3 weeks ago, you might need to pitch more yeast to get it down to a proper final gravity, assuming that your last gravity reading was a day or two ago.
I would rehydrate and pitch a packet of something clean like nottingham or us-05 (Safale American) to finish that guy out. Make sure it doesn't get any lower than 55 or higher than 70. And give it another week at the least.

Back